Name these parts?

1Low620

Ok, in my service manual I can't seem to locate the parts in the pics below. I'm just not familiar with L20B's enough to know if they're needed or not. This was a California truck now in Oregon and not sure if it's smog related or not.

Here on the carb, if your facing it standing on the driver side, the hex shape coupling nut thing with the white wire coming out the back, anyone know what it's for?

DatsunProject17.jpg

There is a second one on the other side, that a wire goes up to the electronic choke.

Second, I believe this is the lower section by the EGR valve? you'll notice a hole in the round port, when the truck is rev'd up and backfires, spark comes flying out of it like a lightning bolt! :eek:

DatsunProject18.jpg

Any help with identifying these parts would be very appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i always called them the fuel cut... not sure of the correct name. i have had a few carbs with them and usually i just gut out the spring and plunger and screw them back in... Its an emissions device that will give you an extra .001 mile per gallon and will keep the engine from dieseling if its not tuned right.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after a little searching I have come across the exploded views of the stock Hitachi rebuild worksheet. http://www.olddatsuns.com/data/Hitachi_Carb_DCH_DCP_DRJ340.pdf

I was really curious as to what my unplugged wires coming off the carb were, one on the pass. side of the carb is the anti-dieseling solenoid ( marked #35 ) the one on the driver side ( #24 ) is the vacuum control solenoid. The wire coming off the vacuum control solenoid isn't hooked up to anything, no google searches or searches on here, or my service manual show what this needs to be hooked up to.

Anyone able to help me out here?

During rapid deceleration the air fuel ratio becomes so lean it does not burn properly and pollutes. When BCDD is triggered by high manifold vacuum on deceleration an internal opening allows a small amount of extra air and fuel in to promote better burning. When the motor drops to an idle there is a transmission switch (auto) or a switch in the speedo gauge (manual) that energizes the solenoid to vent the vacuum signal and turn the BCDD off. If the BCDD isn't turned off it may hold an abnormally high idle. If you have an erratic or fast idle when you come to a stop it could be that the BCDD isn't shutting off.

If you suspect the BCDD I would remove the solenoid and thread a bolt into the hole or put 12v on the wire so the solenoid is on all the time and the BCDD is constantly vented.

DatsunProject18.jpg

I would JB or drive a sheet metal screw into that hole and plug it. Outside air should not be entering the EGR system.

Edited by datzenmike