Rear Sway bars...worth it?

VoidDragon

Hey all.

Just installed a sway bar onto the front of my 79. was off a 74 and used mid 90s ranger end links. pics to come soonish, whenever I get around to takign them and starting my project thread.

But that is just a lead up to my Q.

Are rear sway bars worth it? How much real benefit do you get on a solid rear axle vehicle? All the cutting, welding and fabricating, all to connect two things that are already connected.

So there is my poll.

Is a rear sway bar really worth the effort?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to oversteer and understeer. Oversteer, is the tendency of the rear end to break loose any try to 'come around' on hard cornering. Understeer, is the tendency of the front end to keep going straight when turning during hard cornering. Many many things affect this such as tire pressure, spring stiffness, shocks, weight bias and on and on but if your vehicle tends to understeer, adding or increasing the size of the rear sway bar will reduce it. If your truck oversteers, a sway bar or stiffer one will increase this. You can do the same by varying the front sway bar too. Oversteer.... stiffen or add front sway bar, understeer... soften or remove front sway bar.