Need some upgrades...

TrevDaddy

I have had very few problems with my 36 year old truck, except for the fuel/air sustem, namely the carb and air intake.

My intake has a new filter on it and works nice, but the rubber gasket that seals it to the carb opening is shredded and was actually a cause of a stuck throttle a couple of weeks ago. I'd like just a simple low profile filter assymbly that is easy to work around/remove. Could I find something similar at lowes or Ace? Is there a simple replacement for this or can I make my own?

2nd. I'm going to buy a rebuild kit for the carb because it stutters bad at low RPMs. Plus $30 rebuild doesn't hurt the wallet.

I also think the chocke linkage/ cable is old and tired and could use an upgrade. It seems like the cable is too long and is hard to operate, very stiff. I've seen cables online for cheap but expensive shipping. Also the choke cutoff assembly coulbe be replaced too. What do you gus know about these parts and where to get em?

Ebay and Rock Auto is all I can find... Maybe Napa or advance might have em for cheaper locally...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rubber gasket sealing the intake filter can be replaced by scraping what you have off and carefully applying a bead of RTV or one of the blue sealants used to seal the timing chain covers. Blue goop just might last longer if you have EGR dumping into the air filter housing but RTV is a good product. By the way, you want the sealant to completely cure BEFORE you bolt up to the filter unless you intend the filter to last forever and never need changing.

Edited by MikeRL411
added caution

The rubber gasket is 16523 23000 and around $8 at the dealer. Cost that much for a tube of RTV anyway. Keep the stock air cleaner it has the warm air control valve in the snorkel to prevent carb icing in damp, foggy weather at near freezing temperatures.... you get that cold in MO???? Acts like it's running out of fuel.

Nissan dealer? Thanks for the part#

As for the warm air control valve, mine is disconnected I believe. The hole on the underside of the air intake and the hole off of the exhaust mani are both open. I was wondering what size and material hose I need to reconnect those openings...

It does get pretty cold in MO, as for the fuel, I think an accelerator pump and a full carb rebuild should do the trick.