lowering????

1974datsun

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you lower a 1974 620 without chopping up the frame? i want my truck 2-3 inches lower. ive herd of taking some leaf springs out bbut im not sure how safe this is

man

I hate to bag on you but really, use the search function before you make a post. its all over the forum, and in the FAQ even. This one has been covered on probably every datsun vehicle.. :lol:

You dont have to chop the frame, you adjust the torsion bars.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129

Click that link. Scroll down, it shows the torsion bars. They should look like this or similar

rebuild70.jpg

Jack up the truck, both sides, and make sure its secured and will not fall on you! Really, don't mess around with it. once you adjust those out, if it falls you will be squished for sure.

Once you find those, they will be under the cab area of the truck. inside the frame rails.

Each of those in the picture will have 1 bolt going thru and should have two nuts on the top. (two, so one will lock the other so it dont vibrate out)

Adjust that bolt out a ways, make sure you leave enough room for both nuts to be on the end.

Drive the truck around afterwards. That will set the torsion bars in. Before you go hauling ass out of there tho check to see if the a-arms are hitting the bump stops. if they are, either shave them or just take them off.

once you get back, measure and make sure its level, if not adjust it till it is.

I beg to differ on the loosening bolt method of lowering. A lot better idea is to re-index the torsion bars, that is loosen the bolts, remove the bar, and turn a few splines in whichever direction to achieve the desired lowered effect.

The first method of de-tensioning the bars does just that, lowering the truck, but makes it very soft in the front.

The second method is the correct way to lower, but keep roughly the same spring rate on the bar as factory. It only changes the range in which it operates, due to the bump stops and suspension limitations.

Here's what it looked like on a previous hardbody. Didn't want to lower it too much since I raced it at the time.

autox149.jpg

Those are 215/60/15s on the truck.

Re-indexing the torsion bars would be the best route. however you can just adjust that bolt and be fine.

No, it wont lower the back just the front. For the rear use lowering blocks. Other people have removed leaf springs & whatever else, but if you haul stuff your best route is just putting lowering blocks on. This will retain your load capacity.