Rl 411

gcmustang

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a 67 411 and the fron fenders are rotted badly. Will fenders from a 66 520 fit on the car? If so how much modification is needed.

Yes, but you will have to fabricate a patch panel to fill in the different turn signal / running light location. The 520 bridges the fender to roll pan juncture, the 411 has the lamp completely on the roll pan. Depending on how badly your fenders are rusted, you may be able to cut the patch out of the existing fenders and Braze or weld into position. If not, a boat fiberglassing kit from the hardware store is a good start. Saturate a cut piece of the fiberglass fabric [usually a twill weave, very stable] with the epoxy mix, place into position with a little waxed paper to limit future sanding and rework [actually better done with the fenders not yet installed], add more saturated cloth patches to adhere to the cutout for the 520 lamp assemblt and let it all cure. A little light sanding after peeling the waxed paper off and gentle application and sanding of light weight Bondo and you are ready to prime and paint. It will look 100% original.

There’s a 67 411 wagon @ Crescent lake salvage off of hwy 97. The body looked complete and rot seamed minimal. Might be worth looking at for parts if you’re willing to make the trip. Also, as a bonus it had a set of su side drafts under the hood that look to be factory installed so it might also have a few sss parts on the rig ;) take a look!

Later

Joel

Looking at pictures it looks like the bottom of the 520 fenders have a flair out and may be shorter. Is this correct or just the way the pictures I found look?

Must be the photo angle. I replaced the right front fender [first body part to go out of stock] on my RL411 with a 520 fender modified as I described. Looks perfectly stock.