Coilovers for 72 510

Whoracle

I am planning on buying coilovers for my 510, but i cant buy front and rear all at once :( (well, i could if i wanted to pay cash, but i want to use my credit card so i can start to earn some credit lol). My plan is to purchase the rear ones first, cause the rear springs are shot anyways, and then in about 2-3 months purchase front ones and camber plates. My plan was to get them from here: http://www.technotoytuning.com/productlist.php?vehicleid=12

Here is my question; Is there a way to get them for cheaper (i wish i could get the weld on front kit, but im not too handy with a welder) and what spring rates should i get front and rear?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that kit from Techno toy is not a bad price but you can check ermishracing as his kit is not bad either and I think it may be a bit more affordable. the price for the coilovers in front is not bad and that is what I sell it for also. as for welding you can bring it to anyone who welds and they should not charge you much to do the welding of the perches for the front. some will say get clamps to mount the front coilovers so you don't have to weld and I am sure that works also but for me I like the weld a bit more.

as for rates I would go with what the kit gives you. Get to know the car and then go from there as you get more used to it and driving style. also roads are different everywhere so a rate for one persons use may be different from anothers. maybe a starter rate would be 225 to 300lb front

Edited by benzo

280zx insert is shorter than a 510 insert... I believe they are interchangeable. If your gonna do coilovers, why not upgrade the brakes too? 280zx brake/strut combo, coilovers, mr2 strut inserts on shortened strut housings... coilovers just got more complicated. Don't buy the GC coilovers just to get low... its just the start of a full on suspension swap.

280zx insert is shorter than a 510 insert... I believe they are interchangeable. If your gonna do coilovers, why not upgrade the brakes too? 280zx brake/strut combo, coilovers, mr2 strut inserts on shortened strut housings... coilovers just got more complicated. Don't buy the GC coilovers just to get low... its just the start of a full on suspension swap.

I would love to do all that, but I am somewhat limited in money (gotta keep the accounts up to pay for college) but am mostly limited in skill.

• 2 weeks later...
so i decided to do what zuum said and am switching to 280zx front struts and brakes, and my coilovers and camber plates are being shipped from troy this friday, will post pics once i get the swap done :) Thank you zuum for all the info and help :)

I will be at Troys Friday and I will make sure they go out :lol: