Anyone know a vintage Austin Mini cooper?

Hey guys, do you have any friends with a vintage Austin mini cooper? Or have one yourself?

Could you do me a favor? The more I look at the (cracked) windshield on my `59 the more it looks like the same shape as the 'ol skool Mini cooper windshield.

That would be great news for 59 owners! As places like MiniMania.com sell them for like $200.

I would need the height, width, and in a dream world, the curve, which I measured by pulling a string along the backside of the glass, and measuring the distance from that string to the surface at like 5 points. (Only needing half of the windshield.)

I know it is a longshot, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

P9190154.jpg

2538902.jpg

mini_cooper-1.gif

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to find an Austin A50, A55, or A60 windshield. I don't think you'll have to actually have one made, if you can find one of these.

I know you've spent hours looking over the early Austins. But here are a couple more for visual reference. Here's an A50, and an A60 ute.

I'm sure you've already done this search, but here is a yahoo directory list of Austin Healey glass & weatherstripping vendors. The east coast is typically a bit 'hotter' for Brit imports. The Brit scene on the right coast is very similar to the Japanese scene on the left. One of the places listed is in Delaware and has a 2 acre parts yard. Healey Surgeons Inc. are in Maryland, and Triple C Motor Accessories are in Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure you can source what you need, possibly even secure a new windshield, with resources near you.

It would be especially good if we had an A50 to measure, but we know that your car was modeled after the BMC/Austin very heavily. It would astonish me if Datsun had the werewithal to modify this portion of the body stamping so early on.

Good luck :)

I think you need to find an Austin A50, A55, or A60 windshield. I don't think you'll have to actually have one made, if you can find one of these.

I know you've spent hours looking over the early Austins. But here are a couple more for visual reference. Here's an A50, and an A60 ute.

I'm sure you've already done this search, but here is a yahoo directory list of Austin Healey glass & weatherstripping vendors. The east coast is typically a bit 'hotter' for Brit imports. The Brit scene on the right coast is very similar to the Japanese scene on the left. One of the places listed is in Delaware and has a 2 acre parts yard. Healey Surgeons Inc. are in Maryland, and Triple C Motor Accessories are in Pennsylvania. I'm pretty sure you can source what you need, possibly even secure a new windshield, with resources near you.

It would be especially good if we had an A50 to measure, but we know that your car was modeled after the BMC/Austin very heavily. It would astonish me if Datsun had the werewithal to modify this portion of the body stamping so early on.

Good luck :)

Always great to have more info Nuke, thanks man! Interestingly there is an A50 Cambridge windshield ( I think the A40 is the same) on ebay right now. I've contacted the seller and he took the time to measure it for me. It is a 1/4 taller at 16". But is about 4 1/2 inches longer at 48" (vs. 43.5" on the datsun.)

He is asking $500 with shipping, but since I would still have to cut it, I think I will keep hunting. (that would be an expensive mistake if it cracked!)

I am writing the seller in Delaware you mentioned right after this!

Rock!