L20 Weber Carb Cold Air Intake Sytems I need Help!!!!

five-and-dime

So I have a 69 510 with a turbo'd l20. I have it dialed in perfectly knock on wood for the time being. I have a ghetto engineered cold air intake with some sheetmetal and tubing. It works ok but looks terrible and I think I can improve. Im curious if anybody has fabbed up a intake tube system and can give me any pointers. I have the carb converted so I can throw any round style 5 1/8 filter or housing on it. Right now im thinking of getting the spectre performance cold air kit in the summit mag. I was thinking of running it behind the grill. Id rather not run it through the headlight housing but can if I see a large benefit. Also will I have to change my carb settings to compensate for more air or do you think it will be ok. I have the old school rajay turbo pull through system. Thanks for the help guys. Pics would be great if someone doesnt mind me copying there ideas:)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a 69 510 with a turbo'd l20. I have it dialed in perfectly knock on wood for the time being. I have a ghetto engineered cold air intake with some sheetmetal and tubing. It works ok but looks terrible and I think I can improve. Im curious if anybody has fabbed up a intake tube system and can give me any pointers. I have the carb converted so I can throw any round style 5 1/8 filter or housing on it. Right now im thinking of getting the spectre performance cold air kit in the summit mag. I was thinking of running it behind the grill. Id rather not run it through the headlight housing but can if I see a large benefit. Also will I have to change my carb settings to compensate for more air or do you think it will be ok. I have the old school rajay turbo pull through system. Thanks for the help guys. Pics would be great if someone doesnt mind me copying there ideas:)

sorry to venture off on your ?

was your dime up for sale on CL a few times?

I doubt it will affect the carb settings. Cooler air is denser. Denser air being 'thicker' will cause more vacuum at the venturi and suck in more gas.

Heat is a killer in turbo'd cars. Every attempt to lower the intake air temperature will allow more boost without pre-ignition. Never use air from behind the rad. Compressing hot air just raises the cylinder temp even higher and closer to pre-ignition. Run an oil cooler. Oil does more than simply lubricate the motor. It also goes places the coolant does not and absorbs heat. Cooler oil = cooler motor. Have you considered a water/alcohol injection system? It can be used at full boost to absorb heat by evaporation.

I have considered it yes. It would be just so much easier and cheaper to fab up an intake instead and throw in an electric fan. Where do you suppose I pull the air from then I guess is my biggest question I have. If not behind the radiator then where. Id rather not go through headlights and dont wanna go to low so I hit a puddle and suck water in

I have fabbed a few CAI's, did some research about them. A few points to remember: the longer the intake pipe, the more resistance to airflow, and the more heat absorbed into the air charge from the engine bay. Also, keep the pipe as straight as possible - a 90 degree bend apparently creates resistance equivalent to 3 metres of straight pipe.