Time for a locksmith?

I hate to be sacrilegious to datsun with a gmc question but I need help! My grandparents have a 97 gmc blazer and they have lost the keys to it. This happened a couple years ago and they had it replaced at the dealership and it cost a fortune and they had a tow bill.

The trouble I'm running into is that I need the key in the ignition and I have to turn the ignition to the on position. At this point I can depress the retaining pin through a small hole on the top of the column... I can't think of any other way. Is there a way to depress the retaining pin without the ignition key? Locksmith wants $120 to come out and look at it. I have a PDF file for removing the cylinder IF I had the key. Any help? Thanks.:confused:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just start calling all your family and friends over with their GM product keys. You will eventually find a matching key because there are only so many combinations you can cut a key. When you find it go get a copy made. For one friend his girlfriend locked her keys in her car so we made a trip to see this old timer locksmith. He just handed us a coffee can full of GM keys and said bring them back when you're done. The 6th key worked. Also I have used my nissan key in a former coworkers hyandai that was a little worn out.

If it went to the dealer last time and cost a fortune it likely has a VATS key (the one with the microchip). The chip has a specific resistance value that the ECM must recognize or the car won't start. Those keys are always expensive and that may be the reason that the locksmiths want $120.

If it went to the dealer last time and cost a fortune it likely has a VATS key (the one with the microchip). The chip has a specific resistance value that the ECM must recognize or the car won't start. Those keys are always expensive and that may be the reason that the locksmiths want $120.

No one else in the family owns GM unfortunately...

Calling the locksmith today. Will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all of the replies!