Pertronix install on J13

Str8_69

Did a search but didn't find anything like what I encountered.... Installed the pertronix and everything went easy, fired up the truck and it ran like it was only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders. Hmm. Pulled it apart and re-assembled like 3 times with same results. Then checked to make sure the magnet sleeve had all its magnets.. yep it does. So i figure I'd try the sleeve at different 90 degree fitments since it seems to do that. Boom now it runs. Except now the timing is off to about 15 degrees before TDC. Adjusted the distributor as far as it would go on the adjuster and am still about 3 degrees short of TDC and therefore idling a tad too low. Anyone have any ideas? How do I get more adjust out of it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you mean that the timing is actually 3 degrees after TDC? I just ask because normally your engine speed increases (to a point) when its advanced, decreases when retarded. (At idle, that is.)

Have you tried removing the distributor and turning it just one tooth?

whats a Petronix?

On L series distributors there is a a 8mm head bolt underneath the dizzy holding the plate, and you can adjust the timming plate moreIf that is also slotted underneath. or all else fails slot the timming plate with a file.

I dont know J motors but if you removed the distributor maybe you sliped it back in Off one toothe on the worm gear where your ROTOR will be pointing in one direction more than where it started off. I dont know J motors but L series motors if you pull the distributor only , it can really only go back in one way when the Rotor locks down

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Did you mean that the timing is actually 3 degrees after TDC? I just ask because normally your engine speed increases (to a point) when its advanced, decreases when retarded. (At idle, that is.)

Have you tried removing the distributor and turning it just one tooth?

whats a Petronix?

Yeah, I used to think that too, but actually engine speed increases when you retard the ignition towards TDC. Advance is BDTC.

Upon further inspection I've found the advance mech springs in the distributor are worn and my timing is just jumping around a bit. Still runs TONS better than it did with points though.

The Pertronix is a brand of Electronic ignition that's a popular upgrade for points ignitions.

I searched for this thread yesterday, but forgot to post it. This is an upgrade using an L series electronic distributor. The engine in question is an E series, which is the predecessor to the J13 you have. They are very similar, I think externally they are identical.

One of the key points that Mike makes here is that the mounting plate for the dizzy needed to be filed in order to set the timing properly. I know you've finished the Pertronix install, but thought you might find this interesting.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showpost.php?p=5901&postcount=13

Can we see pics of your truck? Any E/J series upgrades are always interesting to me (and maybe others?) :D

PS - I've got 4 or 5 E/J series distributors, if you need springs PM me.

I searched for this thread yesterday, but forgot to post it. This is an upgrade using an L series electronic distributor. The engine in question is an E series, which is the predecessor to the J13 you have. They are very similar, I think externally they are identical.

One of the key points that Mike makes here is that the mounting plate for the dizzy needed to be filed in order to set the timing properly. I know you've finished the Pertronix install, but thought you might find this interesting.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showpost.php?p=5901&postcount=13

Can we see pics of your truck? Any E/J series upgrades are always interesting to me (and maybe others?) :D

PS - I've got 4 or 5 E/J series distributors, if you need springs PM me.

Thanks for the post.. I missed that one on my search, very informative. Pics of my truck are here: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=14693

I plan on posting some more as soon as I get my photo software on the new computer as the old one just puked and I lost all my pics:mad:

Thanks for the offer on the springs, a buddy of mine thinks he may have some but if not I may hit you up;)

Peace, T