Prefered carburetor for a NAPS Z motor?

Spades

well, after dinking around with the worn out stock hitachi unit on the naps z20s equipped 510 I bought, I found out that there are numerous problems with it, and judging from all the screws that are hashed on it, it has been fiddled with for longer than I have been alive.

so, while I have a set of SU carbs off of a volvo I want to eventually make a manifold for, that will be a VERY time consuming project...I need something to make the car run, and I need it on the road as soon as possible since I only have one car now.

I was looking at a weber WK657 32/36 carburetor, and its about the same price as what I am finding a stock carb for around here.

does anyone know whats the best carb I can get for the naps motor for the smallest dollar amount? the stock carb I have is so hashed, I am not going to risk the $40 for a rebuild kit, the thing is pretty much ruined, and im not convinced a rebuild kit will fix it at this point, it is WORN...

so, what are my options? any high performance upgrades for a meager price?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you get the "kit" when you got the carburetor? i can fab the linkage up myself, but if there is a adapter plate or something in the kit I would have $$$ into building other than linkage and stuff...I will get the kit.

there is a huge price differance because I have found places with the 32/36 for under $200 new, and the cheapest kit I found is 349 bucks!!!

truck already had it when i bought it

you will need an adapter but you can usually get those cheap here, and there is a linkage kit avail for i think 15 dollars.

if you need i can dig that stuff up

Edited by h2theizzo

also

check the for sale section here, i seen someone with a weber for sale,

correct adapter plate is this apparently

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/100_646_p/100.76.htm

and a generic linkage kit

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/101.099.htm

but my truck was able to use stock shit to hook it up, you will have to look at yours, my 1980 720 has an L series engine in it and i had to make my own linkage setup

thanks for the help!!!! that definately solves that problem...I will see if I can scrape the funds together to get one comming. thanks again for the help!

ONE LAST QUESTION: does anyone know if the z20s and the z24 carburetors share the same mount? I looked it up and they use differant carburetor numbers, but I didnt find any good pictures of anything that would help me determine if the Z24 adapter would work for my z20s.

Edited by Spades

ONE LAST QUESTION: does anyone know if the z20s and the z24 carburetors share the same mount? I looked it up and they use differant carburetor numbers, but I didnt find any good pictures of anything that would help me determine if the Z24 adapter would work for my z20s.

They do not. The Z24 bolt spacing is wider than the Z20/22 which are both the same.

update: I called weber carbs direct and ordered a 32/36 and also the adapter plate. the z20 plate is more expensive than the z24, but even with the adapter, carb, and rush shipping charges, I still was under $300 for the whole thing.