720 2wd vs 720 4x4

izzo

did they use the same wire harness thru-out the varient models and just not hookup the extra connectors?

I didnt know if they made different ones for the 720s or just used the same one and not use the connectors, i see some extra connectors in my engine compartment, and under the dash. But i dont see connectors for the 4x4 oil pressure and voltmeter. Maybe i just dont see it and need to dig around up there better??

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from the diagrams i have it seems they built the harness with all the features available included (ie: automatic vs maunal, 4x2 vs 4x4, ... ) and if you didnt have one of the features then it just wasnt plugged into the harness. i have also noticed a few blank plugs around the dash and engine. i havent really looked at the wiring for the 4x4 gauges in my truck (if it aint broke i leave it alone!) but i am pretty sure they are in there somethere!

thanks

i was thinkin the same, however my 1980 is a little different then the rest so i guess they didnt include the diagrams in the book

I looked in the book and found most of the missing plugs and know what they are for, i just dont have the plugs for the 4x4 oil pressure and voltmeter :

ill take my dash off some time and look to see if its stuffed in there somewhere

The '80 harness was totally different form all other years of 720. 22 different harnesses were used through the 720 run, 4 different ones for the 1980 model. Also there is a difference between '80-'82 and '83 on with the Z24 and revised dash. I have an '85 dash and an earlier 4X4 harness and one of the dash plugs had to have all of the pins pushed out and placed in different positions. (for example left turn signal flashed the high beams, etc) I don't think the 4X4 plugs are taped up out of the way on a 2wd harness. (just an opinion) But if they are, they will be just to the right of the heater assy and up just under the dash. For one thing 2wd harnesses only have one wire going to the oil sender switch on the side of the block. The 4X4s have a two wire plug and different sender... one for the red dash light and the other for the pressure gauge on the 4X4 consul. I can't see them having 4X4 plugs at one end and only a 2wd single wire at the sender.

Edited by datzenmike