Progress on the cheap interior - seats, carpet, console, front kick panels......

BarryA

Most of it came from P&P - seats & carpets from a late '80's Mazda 626LX, 720 column stalk turn signal/headlight & wiper stalks & black switch cover (needs to be trimmed to fit - don't like the blue cover against the black dash), color matched blue Honda inertia reel 3-point belts; console off eBay, home made shift boot, steering wheel from my '02 (was originally on the yellow 79 KC I had 18 years ago), stereo and front speakers were in the truck when purchased. Fabricated new front kick panels from 1/8" abs covered with 1/8 foam and new blue vinyl; floor is completely insulated with 3/8 thick foil backed felt pad under the carpet - huge reduction in heat and noise.

Next steps are to fabricate new door boards from more 1/8 abs (they'll be covered with the same blue vinyl with inserts of Mazda 626 seat material with the matching map pockets scavenged from the Mazda 626 mounted in lower front corners), try to find another pair of matching Pioneer speakers for the rear panels, hook up the stereo and powered sub that came mounted under the Mazda passenger seat, fabricate repalacement rear panels from the same abs & cover and install them.

Total out of pocket so far is about $125.....

DSCF4170.jpgDSCF4171.jpgDSCF4169.jpgDSCF4165.jpg

This is what it looked like when first purchased....

DSCF3643.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good dude, the carpet came out of a 626 mazda? looks good so far, keep it up, thats thinkin outside the box, and that is what CUSTOM is all about, good job:D

How did that mazda carpet fit? Trimming in the middle? Or did it lay out nice over the tunnel and only need trimmed at the edges?

Looks good in the pics.

What all was involved in putting the 720 signal stalk on? Wiring, and how the plastic attached and trimmed to the dash?

How did that mazda carpet fit? Trimming in the middle? Or did it lay out nice over the tunnel and only need trimmed at the edges?

Looks good in the pics.

What all was involved in putting the 720 signal stalk on? Wiring, and how the plastic attached and trimmed to the dash?

top of the trans tunnel - edges are hidden under the console; the rear edge in front of the seats did need a bit of heat applied with a heat gun to relax the moulding and get it to lay flat. The rear carpet took quite a bit more fitting, trimming and patching together, but the seams and joints really don't show much.

Column stalk switch assembly took some adapting (both the mounting process and wiring) - I've got an almost complete write up on the steps required that can be forwarded by e-mail if you're interested. The cover mounts to the existing mounting points on the switch assembly, and just needs trimming to match the contours of the dash pad to fit properly - it's kind of a "fiddly" job (straightforward, but time consuming - I did it on a continous trim-and-fit process using a router bit in a Dremel tool)

I was hoping that you were going to tell us that it fit the tunnel without cutting it down the middle. I dont plan to run a center console and dont want to look at a carpet seam.:(

But it certainly looks way better than what you started with.

Edited by yello620