hello, and heres my datsun

Hey guys, figured Ive posted on most of the other datsun forums so I'd post here.

This is my Z, its a late 74 260z. I bought it stock a year ago and have done various a few small things to it. Here's a short list:

-4bbl Arizona Z manifold

-Edelbrock 500 cfm carb

-6:1 header and custom exhaust

-Tokico Illumina struts & Tokico springs

-Prothane bushings

-Hawk pads and "sportier" shoes, dont remember the brand

-Falken Azenis 205/50/15s

-My own custom front top strut isolators, 240z style rear top isolators

-Bomz "racing" seats.

The car runs really well, I've got into autocrossing this last summer. I've been to 4 events now and have plenty more planned. The car sits about 1.5-2 inches lower than stock and handles great. Future suspension work is top priority with bigger sways, camber bushings and bump steer spacers.

I've heard lots of criticism on the 4bbl carb setup, mine seems to work good.. I dunno. Only problem I have discovered is the carb is prone to flooding on panic stops (clutch in, brake in) making it a little annoying when stopping after an autocross run. I would like to fix that problem with a GM TBI setup (just to be different) or I think a Holley carb with center mount floats would work as well.

Anyway here's some pics of the car. I lowered it another .5-1 inch after this with the isolators I made for it and it looks a bit better now.

P1040088.jpg

P1040085.jpg

P1040086.jpg

Heres a couple pics from my first autocross in may:

526836433_BVP8Q-O.jpg

526837348_hTKSM-O.jpg

Heres a shot from autocrossing this alst sunday:

7-5-09-1.jpg

Alright thats about it for now. I just finished installing a little camera mount in the car, so hopefully autocross videos arent too far away. I also couldnt help noticing lot of guys here from oregon/washington, hopefully I'll see some more Datsuns at future races! Next ones this weekend!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skib, youre on all the forums. Cant get away from you :)

Just got back from sunday's autocross. The course was very fun, it was my first time racing at the fairgrounds. Not many cars today, maybe everyone is at the historics. Ended up getting 10 runs in! Sweet.

My fastest time was 47.399, fastest car was a formula type car with a time of 38.. most of the quicker cars were running 43s, 44s. I wasnt the fastest car there but still managed to impress a couple people with my car's handling. Here's some vids, there's more on my youtube account for the really curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn0hYyd78-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCHGczKX8Y

Another event comin up tomorrow. Should be a good one!

oh.. how much ya want for that emblem? ;)

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n
Skib, youre on all the forums. Cant get away from you :)

oh.. how much ya want for that emblem? ;)

We call Skib the ramblin man! :lol:

The emblem? $5.00 if you wanna meet up. Plus shipping if you don't. :D

Send me a pm if you are interested.

lol Im just suprised I havent seen you at the track

(yes, I do get away from my compluter )

Where do you normally race at? I just started autocrossing this year. Done like 3 events at PIR with the SCCA and PCA. Also been ran like 3 or 4 events with WMC in salem. Some day I will make the journey to Packwood... Not many Datsun owners :( for shame.

Speaking of which, I just got back from an event today again. Weather was good the first half of the day so the running was good. Met another Z owner/driver. Good times. Second half started ok, then some guys civic broke a ball joint/LCA. Took over 30 minutes to get him off the track and by then it started to rain... HARD lol. It made it fun to run around the course but the drive home was a little scary.. no window defrost, weak windshield wipers, summer tires, and TRAFFIC(!) make for a nasty ride home. Here's a link to a couple runs I did. Rest are on my youtube account for those curious. There were also some photographers at the event so if the pics surface, I will link em here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNA-ep01gM - dry best run of the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wxmYHP9To - sprinkling, almost immediately after this run it started pouring

Next event is in 2 weeks with the SCCA at PIR, the 25th and 26th!

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n
Hey, I ran autocross in that lot last month.

I think that i might need to do that again.

Yeah I had to miss that last event since my ignition switch failed as I was driving down to Salem. By the time I got the car home, fixed the issue and was ready to go again.. it was too late to run.. oh well.

Next autocross theyre having in salem is at the end of august unfortunately, although I think it will be a different lot. The PIR one by the SCCA in 2 weeks should be a lot of fun though.

• 2 months later...

I always enjoy reading people's build threads so I thought it would be fun to post an update on what I've done to the since back in July.

My main project has been to design and fab up some strut tower braces. I went through a couple iterations until I was happy with the design. They were surprisingly simple, and cheap to make. I had a local shop laser cut me some 10 ga steel based off my drawings, then ordered some 3/8" heim joints and tube ends from McMaster-Carr. Finally I got some steel tube off a local shop and was set. I had an exhaust shop weld everything up and here is how they came out:

0905091226.jpg

0905091227a.jpg

I noticed a difference in the chassis right away. I cannot say it is a large difference but there is no mistaking that its there. The chassis feels more solid, especially under heavy cornering. As can be seen I had to resort to mounting a smaller 6" air cleaner to leave room for the cross bar. I havent noticed any difference in power so I guess it flows enough air. I am trying to decide on a paint color for the brackets before they start to rust...

Just last saturday I finally got my hands on a used urethane air dam. Found some spare bolts and fitted it on... the color doesnt match but it was better than before... And yes, I have moved the license plate...

P1040394.jpg

P1040393.jpg

The pictures also show the Panasports I acquired a few weeks ago. They are just 15x7s but are a good fit for the Azenis tire.

Another thing I did a few weeks ago was upgrade my rear drums to disc brakes. I bought a set of brackets on ebay from Z Race Products and a used set of rear 83 280zx turbo calipers and rotors. I also installed a 79 280zx Master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve. To finish it off I got Russell DOT legal SS brake lines for all four corners and a set of Hawk HPS street pads (same compound as fronts) for the rear calipers.

0823091737.jpg

0823091737a.jpg

While most of my other mods I consider important, this was not really the case. I mostly did it for fun, but it turned out to be a bit of a pain. Initial installation went fine, but required a lot of bleeding and tweaking to get it right. I still havent gotten the brake bias perfect on the prop valve. I did however notice a slight improvement in braking, not much but its there. My brakes are also much easier to work on.

It hasnt been all work and no play though, I have attended three autocross events since July.

First event was at PIR hosted by the SCCA, it featured a crazy, "loopy" course. About medium speed, not too many turns but still managed to confuse a bunch of people if I remember right. Here's my best run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OLcDeL-_5k&feature=channel

The second event was at the Linn County Fairgrounds in Albany. The course was simple but (I thought) quite technical and the surface was great. I was able to make some (what I thought) were great times for myself. Here is a shot of my best run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6fM4e7xW1Y&feature=channel

Last even happened yesterday at PIR, hosted by the Oregon Porsche Club. I wasnt able to make it to Smackdown (Packwood is too far for me this year... I'll make next year for sure), but this was definitely the next best thing. The ORPCA guys are really well organized and the event always seems to roll by so smoothly. I am always impressed. We got 8 runs and still went home before 2 pm! The course was awesome as well, very fast and flat out. The back straight was the most fun, flat out, maxing out 2nd gear for about 2 or 3 seconds through some quick cones. I did alright but I couldnt get a good start down and came away feeling like I could have gone at least a second faster. Nonetheless, here is my best run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9PaLDCHEJU&feature=player_profilepage

Right now the Z is in pieces again, I am replacing the gaskets on the intake manifold, I feel like I have developed a vacuum leak somehow... Though school starts soon again and the Z will sleep for the winter in the garage I will have two more autocross events before the year is through. One is by WMC in Salem on the 27th, the other by the ORPCA at PIR on the 11th. Hopefully I'll see a Datsun out there. :)