need help

Apollo77

i have a 77 620. truck starts and can drive. but i keep backfiring in my carb. it seems to do ok when at a high rev but eventually will backfire and give out.

i looked at some posts and will be checking the timing, but the posts i read they weren't getting it started while having this problem. please help? ...

anyone?

DV

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any other ideas? ive turned what i can think is the idle screw to the point that it almost comes out. and the mixture screw is the only other one that i can see that i can ajust. and neither one seems to effect the idle, just how it runs when i can get it turned over

thanks for the ideas so far btw

and ill keep an eye out for that book

DV

101_0100.jpg

The hex shaped thing with the red wire is the idle cut solenoid. If there isn't 12v on the red wire the solenoid remains closed and no gas gets to the idle circuit. No gas... no idle.

Check that it is working by turning the ign. switch to on (don't start) then off, on, off, on, off. Listen at the back of the carb, you should hear a clicking sound. If not find out if there is voltage with the key on. It should get it's power from the same circuit as the coil.

thanks for the pix, how can you tell if its bad? can it be bad? i can hear a clicking sound but im not sure if its coming from the dash or the carb. the shitty lil volt tester i have says 12v when i test it but it seems to have a bit of a hard time holding the current, it flashes 12v when i move the wire. ill try swaping with the other truck to see if there is a change in my situation.

DV

It should have a steady 12v with key on. You could remove the solenoid. (don't loose the spring) Use a can of WD-40 or carb cleaner. Use the straw that comes with it and spray directly into the hole to blow out any dirt.

well i put in a different solenoid, and this one makes noise when i unplug it so that part i know is in working order. however i cant seem to get it to idle. when i first pt the new one in it tried to idle but it didnt last long and ever since then its a no go. ive tried counting the turns on the what i think is the idle screw and the mixture screw and still come up with nothing.

DV

101_0100.jpg

Mixture screw is the far right one, idle speed is just behind the accelerator pump rod. Both have a spring under them. Remove the mixture screw and insert the straw from a can of WD-40 or carb cleaner and spray it out. Lightly bottom the screw and then back out about 2 turns.

You may also have a vacuum leak: check that the carb mounting bolts are tight. Check the intake mounting bolts are tight. Look for loose, missing or cracked hoses.

• 6 months later...

anyone know why i would have an idle that is way high? ive turned the mixture screw two out and played with the idle screw all over and still cant get it to kick down. if i had to guess id say its up around 5-7grand and it makes it really hard to drive around with your foot on clutch break and gas. any ideas??

DV