Help!!!! Truck Is Dead

BaKed

hey guys i just recently have had some problems with the electrical in my 79 Datsun 620 King Cab.....to start my battery will not hold a charge but after i jump the car it runs ok....so first i thought it was the alternator and come to find out if my truck is running with a dead battery my alternator is doing something right.....now the second problem i am having is right next to my battery is a little black box with 2 gold relays(i think).....wehn i have the engine running they are making a BUZZING sound....its almost sounds like a really faint horn.....idk what is going on and figured i would resort to this site for some guidance.....BaKed

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys i have replaced my alternator and im still having the problem.....the relays have stop buzzing......i know the alternator is working because i took it off a pretty much brand new 240z and i know i have the Genn II equipment.....after i replaced it we let it run and then killed it and same thing battery wont charge.....so when i get some moeny i am gonna go buy a new voltage reg.....if thats not the problem then get a new battery....

Dude.... the Nissan alternators from '78 up were all internally regulated. You can't really replace it without replacing the whole alternator.

You can't run a 240Z alternator on your '79, it's externally regulated. Sure it isn't a newer 280z/zx?

BTW the buzzing is from the auto choke relay. This is caused by either the battery or the alternator not working properly.

Check that the battery terminal posts and the cable clamps are sand papered clean and tightly bolted on.

Edited by datzenmike

ok well i have been looking up Volt Reg for my truck and none of them are internal....they are all external soldering components....so i just need to find the location of the Volt Reg...the alt from the 240z is a Gen 2