Auto shifter for 620

I have a '73 620 manual that I'm swapping in a KA motor w/auto trans.

Haven't looked closely at the linkage on the KA, but it's from a Frontier and has the shifter on the steering column (from what I could see, it looks like a cable type setup down to the tranny)

I would guess I'll need a floor shifter from a KA auto (like from a 240SX), or an original 620 floor auto shifter to mod.

Anyone got both for pics? Or ideas about this?

Looking to buy one or the other if I can rig something to work.

Thanks,

-Ben

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben,

Both the 240sx and the stock auto trans. in a 620 have a rod that connect the shifter to the trans. Niether of them are cable operaterd.

You might be able to remove the cable linkage and install the lever for the rod style. But I am not familar with the cable type trans.

I hope this helps a little.

This is the L4N71B automatic. I have one from a Maxima and it is shifted by a rod on the right side just like the 620 3N71B. You would have to modify the rod length maybe.

I would suggest the auto shifter from a late 200sx or 240sx/D-21 Hardbody/300zx. They are made for use with the L4N71B and also have the handy thumb switch for disabling the overdrive 4th gear.

For comparison here's my L4N71B (top) and a '78 620 automatic. The bottom one doesn't have the rod on it but you can see where it goes. To be clear, the L4N71B I have is from a Maxima but it can be assumed that the same basic tranny is used in the other cars. BTW the L4N71B is about an inch longer.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transautotopL4N71B84Maximagoonand3N.jpg[/img]"]transautotopL4N71B84Maximagoonand3N.jpg

Thanks guys... I may be 'out to lunch' on saying I thought it was a cable-type setup. I slid under the truck for about 2 seconds and took a very quick glance when I was there to do something else (truck is in storage). Will take a second look and compare to the pics above.

This site is great! The people ain't too bad either :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.