R160 ring and pinion set-up

A long ass time ago (2 years) Hainz sold me a 4.11 ring and pinion for super cheap out of the goodness of his heart because he was confident I'd use it. Well its 2 years later and I've been a lazy bastard and haven't worked on my car at all(sorry hainz). I still have it new in the box and I'm finally getting around to work on my car again. I don't want to pay $300 to someone for something I could do for myself, so my question is...

Has anyone changed out their ring and pinion in their R160 themselves? How'd it go? is it any trickier than setting up an R&P in a solid rear axle?

I also want to replace the bearings and seals while I'm in there, does anyone have part #s or sources for them (rockauto?)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone changed out their ring and pinion in their R160 themselves? How'd it go? is it any trickier than setting up an R&P in a solid rear axle?

maybe 10% differance...

i didnt change out the pinion, just swapped the old ring onto the new LSD pumpkin.

work was easy, the set up was simple as i kept the shims as-is so the lash was w/in spec after assembly. :cool:

the pinion will need a puller. a rental from autozone would do it.

i used all new bearings/seals too.

id have to search for the numbers, but did get em from nissan :D (it may be on the last page here... http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6685 )

Edited by hang_510

Hainz, I was a tool! I've had nowhere to work on my car and I got all busy with other crap.

it was pretty lame of me to get that R&P from you and do nothing with it, but it'll finally be going in!! :) I just ordered all new bearings and seals for the rear end from rockauto and my 510 comes out of storage next week!

Well, I think I found all the parts I need, I ordered all new seals and bearings for the diff and pinion from rock auto for $125. I wanted to go with nissan bearings, but they were about 3x the price and I think these will work just fine. I want to make sure I got the right stuff, so I'll hold off on putting part #s up until I get my order in.

I looked through the 510 manual and setting up a diff doesn't look too complicated, I can't believe those knuckleheads charge $300 for it... But I'll probably be singing a different tune when I start trying to put the diff back together. :)