FS5W71B Trani Question..

Kyo

Can a 5 speed FS5W71B from a 1986 nissan 200sx turbo (4cyl ca18et)

trani bolt up to a L-series Eng. (l28 / et) ??

Or would i need a bell housing from a 280z

then put the 280z bellhousing on the 200sx FS5W71B trani??

As both the 280z and 200sx use the FS5W71B 5 speed would the bellhousing bolt right on for a simple bellhousing swap??

or would the bellhousing need modified like when using a S13 trani on a L-series with bellhousing swap??

The reason i ask is I have a 5 speed from the 200sx and i would like to use it on a l28 i might be picking up?

Thanks for any advice..

Edited by Kyo
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1). CA Bellhousing patterns are not the same as L-series (not even close)

2) These don't have "Bellhousings" in the traditional sense. You have to swap transmission cases (move the guts from one to the other). But it is doeable as long as the 71B is of the same generation (it's a little more involved if they aren't).

3) But that's all from what I've read. I've always found it easier and cheaper to just get the right gearbox to start with.

As both the 280z and 200sx use the FS5W71B 5 speed would the bellhousing bolt right on for a simple bellhousing swap??

or would the bellhousing need modified like when using a S13 trani on a L-series with bellhousing swap??

The FS5W71B had some changes made to it around '84 so the L case will need some mods to it. The front case will need the 1st/2nd shift rod hole enlarged to 16mm from 14mm. That's the top one of the three in the picture below.

The CA18ET counter shaft bearing is a larger diameter, 62mm, than the 56mm in the L case. So you can have the hole enlarged to just a hair over 62mm, or swap the 56mm bearing onto the CA tranny to match the L case... BUT either way, the CA counter gear directly behind the bearing is also wider front to back and will rub against the inside of the L case. The raised area around the counter shaft bearing hole, (see picture) will need to be ground away out as far as 3.5" from the center. About 0.13" of material needs to be removed so the gear won't be pinched when the case is tightened down. This could be done with a die grinder to provide clearance. I would recommend the 62mm bearing as it replaces the failure prone 56mm one. Use the CA front cover plate if you do use the larger bearing.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transKAgearsin280Zcase.jpg[/img]"]transKAgearsin280Zcase.jpg

Edited by datzenmike