AC compressor bracket for 510.

At a Upull I saw a 720 PU with L20B and AC. It had a rotary style compressor mounted on the LH side of the engine. I got to wondering if this might fit my '72 510 with L20B. I have a feeling there isn't as much clearance to the frame or steering column or something as a PU, but I thought I'd see if anyone has tried it. Any ideas?

Len

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How funny... I was just at a JY and saw a z-series engine in a truck w/ an air compressor on it, and I thought about yanking it off as well. There should be plenty of room in a 510 for it; I don't think the steering column is in the way, since the AC sits pretty far forward on the engine. You'd want to make sure to grab the condensor, the compressor, and the in-cabin blower unit. I don't know that the truck's piping could be ported over, so you might end up needing to have some custom AC piping.

JC - Thanks for the info. I'll have to grab that one if it is still there when I go back. The radiator and condensor were gone and the dash unit built in, but somewhere I have a condensor from something else. I have an under-dash knee-knocker from a 620 PU I bought thinking it might fit the 510, but doesn't have the cutout for the steering column. It maybe can be hacked to work. Until I get the engine back in the car, AC isn't a high priority, but I like to grab bits and pieces when I find them.

Len