Aftermarket Weber carbs?

Hey guys,

In my quest to get my 78 510 running good enough to drive I have a few questions. I rebuilt the stock carb,and can't seem to even get it to run as good as it did before the rebuild. I am reserved to the fact that this factory setup sucks,and I want to use something different. I bought a set of SU's on ebay that turned out to be crap. I also found a really cherry set on a forum in Australia,and with the exchange rate it is well worth the investment to get them to me. The problem however is that the guy hasn't accepted the money I sent him via paypal for over a week now,and I cannot get ahold of him.

Which brings me to this. I have found places online that sell new Weber copies with air filter/adapter,etc to mount on my car. They aren't horribly expensive,but I am not sure if it is worth the money. To let you guys know I am not after performance,just a car that runs fine so that I can take my kids out during the nice months. Do you guys have any info on say a carb like this one?:

Ebay item:230213862104

If I did buy this would I have to blank of anything emissions-wise,and if so is it a pain it the butt? I live in a state that doesn't require emissions testing on a car this age,so removal of the air-pump,and such is no big deal. The car is a non-catalyst equipped car anyway,but it does have emissions equipment on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the newer L motors have more emissions crap on them and is kinda of a pain to change since all the stuff is in the way

http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm

but a WEBER 32/36DGEV-ic would be the one to get but the other Manual choke type will work also.

But cost new is kida high.

But L motors are simple to keep running very simple motor.

olddatsuns.com is a good link to research for basic info.

I have not heard much good about the EMPI Chinese carbs. They're a weber clone, and as such should work like a Weber but if you search the web you will find that there are a significant amount of problems on some due to poor machining and casting flaws.

But maybe you'll get a good one.