small valve z-series head

steve g

Hello,

During the production of the naps-z engines was there a head that has tiny intake runners and smaller valves than the z24? Im building a motor that can produce torque at a very low rpm.

Thanks, Steve

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Z20/22/24 heads I have are all the same valve sizes; same as the L20B. (except for length)

Yes the Z20 and Z22 intake ports are smaller and round. The Z24 are square with rounder corners and larger. Except for the mileage option Z20S in the '84-'86 720, all Z20/22/24 that I have are the same combustion chamber size.

Hello,

During the production of the naps-z engines was there a head that has tiny intake runners and smaller valves than the z24? Im building a motor that can produce torque at a very low rpm.

Thanks, Steve

The Z series motor is the definition of low speed torque.

Z22 ... 117 ft lb @ 1,800 RPMs

Z24 ... 134 ft lb @ 2,800 RPMs

Compare to the L20B 102- 108 ft lb @ 3,200 RPMs

Edited by datzenmike

Are those numbers right Mike? The z22 produces max torque at 1000 rpms less than the z24?.... in that case i would have to say there is some gain to the z22 head and intake design considering the z22 is shorter stroke but produces almost the same torque at a much lower rpm ....right?

Steve