How Does This Work Without a Relay?

650savag

Several weeks ago I heard a buzzing sound coming from one of my relays above the fuse box. I unplugged the relay and it stopped buzzing. It turns out this is the headlamp relay and I am wondering how do the lights still work without having a relay plugged in? This is in my 1980, 720. Does it hurt to run the lights without the relay? It's been working fine for several weeks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think they have it aaron

Are you sure its the headlight relay? I have a 1980 720 Also. See if you can get a pic of it and ill go pull mine and see what it does...

I know there is a seat belt buzzer for when your seat belt is not on, sometimes those short out and go off even if you have it on. im guessing that might be it. mine works at random times

The '80 720 doesn't have a headlight relay. Hi or low beams are selected by the headlight switch position. All other years of 720s use a relay to transfer the ground return to hi or low beams.

It does have an auto choke heater relay mounted above the fuse box that requires power from the battery and output from the alternator in order to provide power to the electric choke to warm it and turn it off. Dirty, corroded battery or fusible link connections can cause the relay to flutter. The relay or the alternator could be bad too. Without the relay your choke won't shut off fully. You may notice poorer gas mileage and perhaps a longer fast idle warm up???

My Bad!! It was the choke heater relay. I had converted the auto choke to manual a long time ago so that is why pulling that noisy relay made no difference. Thanks for the replys anyway. I got my Haynes manual out and looked it up and the relay in that position is the headlamp relay in the 81-85 720. Mine is an 80 model and in that yr. only that relay is for the auto choke heater.