insulating the roof

I'm putting the rear window back into my 620, but since the ceiling liner is anchored in the back by the gasket, I figured I'd do this first. I peeled back the liner to find this:

PICT0039.jpg

I was planning on just stuffing in a couple layers of 3/4" foam I have lying around, but this worries me. If it's rusty up there, it means there's moisture, and foam + moisture = bad, especially in the NW.

The other thing I found was this:

PICT0036.jpg

I don't know what it's from, but whoever did the body work did a good enough job that you can't tell at all from the top. The moisture that caused the rust could have potentially gotten in when this hole happened too, so I'm wondering if other people have found rust on the interior of the roof.

I'd like to put some sound deadening stuff up there too while I'm at it, but the thread on that didn't have much to say about ceiling material, other than some stuff called RAAMmat.

Is it just a bad idea to put foam up there? I'm just aiming to keep the cab a little warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Plus foam can't help but deaden some sound too.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most roof areas of old rigs have surface rust like that.datsun never painted the inside roof of their cars or trucks really well. Moisture can come from anywhere wet clothes, heater core leak at some point?. Sound deading on the roof area is awesome! Put some on the back of the cab and on the inside of the doors too while your at it. That's the best upgrade to a datsun is sound deading.