Z20 for sale - complete

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug, if we had a picture of it, (HINT,HINT) we could see if it has the flange output on it. I'm going with the F4W63 with Z bolt pattern because the starter would be closer to the block if it was an L pattern and the tailstock has two switches at least. I think the 521 only had reverse switch. Plus it just looks oriented right for a Z engine.

do u know if the trans from my 78 620 datsun would direct bolt onto that z20 engine?

Yes, both blocks are almost identical so it will bolt up to a Z engine. The problem... there's always a problem... is that the Z engine sits almost straight up and down while the L series engine is tilted on it's right side by about 12 degrees. This means that your '78 L tranny will have to be rotated about 12 degrees to the left side to mate to the Z engine bolt holes. The shifter will also rotate over much closer to your right knee. Additionally, the tranny mount will also not sit flat on the rubber mount. Having never done or seen this, I don't know how bad this tilt toward the driver is. You may be able to just put a small bend in the shift lever above the mounting pin to place it upright. A small wedge or shim could be placed under the tranny mount.

Yes, both blocks are almost identical so it will bolt up to a Z engine. The problem... there's always a problem... is that the Z engine sits almost straight up and down while the L series engine is tilted on it's right side by about 12 degrees. This means that your '78 L tranny will have to be rotated about 12 degrees to the left side to mate to the Z engine bolt holes. The shifter will also rotate over much closer to your right knee. Additionally, the tranny mount will also not sit flat on the rubber mount. Having never done or seen this, I don't know how bad this tilt toward the driver is. You may be able to just put a small bend in the shift lever above the mounting pin to place it upright. A small wedge or shim could be placed under the tranny mount.

if you look at the pics in my build thread you may see the tilt. Mike was right. The angle is worng. The shifter was slammed to the left and the carb wasn't level

Definitely an L series tranny! Flange output makes it an F4W63 from a 520/521. You were right Doug.

Weren't these also used in the first few months of 620 production up until Sept '73?

Edited by datzenmike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.