Project "Izzo"

izzo

aint shit new really

did a little sanding on it today, but i dont want to work on it anymore until after the whole 521 thing happens.

the guy is holding them for me until i get my severance pay. So I am holding off on doing work on the 720 until then. Still need to get an engine stand so i can finish the l20, once i get the 521 i can just drop it in. it will be my first engine swap :D

was able to do this tho, turned out ok

04-28-09_2001.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aint shit new really

did a little sanding on it today, but i dont want to work on it anymore until after the whole 521 thing happens.

the guy is holding them for me until i get my severance pay. So I am holding off on doing work on the 720 until then. Still need to get an engine stand so i can finish the l20, once i get the 521 i can just drop it in. it will be my first engine swap :D

was able to do this tho, turned out ok

04-28-09_2001.jpg

nice man...i think you should sand the middle big groove down to metal also and then finish off on the other side of the cap, i think it looks good that way... keep it up!

nice man...i think you should sand the middle big groove down to metal also and then finish off on the other side of the cap, i think it looks good that way... keep it up!

the entire big strip, from before nissan, and both sides of the cap? Or just both sides of the cap?

OH SNAP! lol

ill play around with it tomorrow

since i did it in red i wasnt sure what to do with it, obviously it looks good metal like that, but i really wanted to paint all of the letters and strips gloss white. I thought that woulda looked great but a lot of taping and such to do so called it good with sanding it to metal...

well see what happens tomorrow. the sand paper i have just cuts right thru the paint and chips it kinda on the sides, i had to do a bit of touching up on it. we shall see!

OH SNAP! lol

ill play around with it tomorrow

since i did it in red i wasnt sure what to do with it, obviously it looks good metal like that, but i really wanted to paint all of the letters and strips gloss white. I thought that woulda looked great but a lot of taping and such to do so called it good with sanding it to metal...

well see what happens tomorrow. the sand paper i have just cuts right thru the paint and chips it kinda on the sides, i had to do a bit of touching up on it. we shall see!

i actually took a razor knife and cut away the paint then hit it with a little sand paper, done 3 that ways and it had worked good so far

• 2 weeks later...

ok

to most of you building a L20 isnt shit, but to me its awesome. For one i have never built an engine, for two its just fun!

Today i scrubbed the shit out of that block, then took a wire wheel to it, then scrubbed it again. dried, primered, painted and its red :D

Heres some pics, I did use that copper spray on the head gasket, so its tacked on there. it is not tightened down yet. I am waiting until tomorrow. I am going to clean the head some more before i put it on for good. The cam is timed, block should be too. I need to re-clean the timing cover before it goes on.

I put a spare dirty ass valve cover on there just for the night to cover it up, its not bolted down and i have a tarp firmly wrapped around the block along with rags in the holes to keep moisture from getting in there.

Theres a pic of my valve cover in here that will go on, and i scrubbed the oil pan and its painted that color too.

a BIG thanks to Freaky510 for the engine stand, your a life saver dood. Was super nice meeting you, cant wait to get together again sometime! Hopefully i wont be rushed to feed the kids or something so we can chill lol...

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

:D:D

Nice! Youll be able to drop it in and go!

lol, thats the whole plan. I dont want any down time really and cant have it so its not able to move.

I need to find or borrow a cherry picker once this is done lol

Things left to do,

Tighten head bolts down,

Put the two bolts that bolt the front of the timing cover to the head..

Put a new gasket on the thermostat housing, and find a bolt thats a tad longer, bought one toooo short :D

install water pump, mike helped me out with what sizes of bolts but i dont know lengths so i will have to buy a kit or re-use my old ones once i pull the engine out.

I need a water pump pulley.

spark plugs, install the dizzy but ill just re-use the one i have now.

I think thats it, i am waiting on a freeze plug to come in to plug up the empty hole.

Am hoping i didnt miss anything, Could someone please take a look at my timing rod end and tell me if it looks like its in the right position? the front two lobes were pointed at 10 & 2 best i could, the first bright link is on the 2 on the cam sprocket, the second bright link is on the dimple on the crank sprocket. then i put in the timing chain tension-er and timing chain guide on. put the gaskets in place etc etc.

Heres what it looked like at the end of the day. my right side was pointing to the sun all day so im sun burned on one side :fu:

anyways, here it is and let me know if the timing rod is at the right angle pls

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

not much really, just removed most the emissions junk. going to make a block off plate tomorrow.

After i make my block off plate, ill post it. And if anyone wants some let me know ill make more with what i have left.

b4

03-08-09_1459.jpg

after

IMG_0390.jpg

got it done :D

I was wrong about the metal, i only had room for about 3 total block off plates, the rest of the shit was bent. This is nice and thick. I can make up a some better ones and sell them if anyone is interested, i will only do it if the number is decent otherwise its not worth the time and me being out the $ for the steel. am going to clean the block off plate too, just threw it on to test it out

my next set of block off plates i am going to try and figure out a way to put a pipe in there for the PCV. think this would be an easier route then porting out an l16 intake? dunno... lynch has dibs on the first one if i can get it done lol

went to u pull it and picked up this A87 head, didnt have time to get the U67, maybe next time :

heres the block off plate, and the head. The inside of the head is immaculate! when i pulled the head off the head gasket still looked new, it didnt tear or brake off. there was some old gasket still on the head tho. i think i scored nice, only paid 28 dollars for it :D

Figured out why my idle is so high to, theres three screws on the weber. idle, idle mixture (almost next to each other) then a third that looks like it controls the butterflies. Well while i was looking in there i noticed that the throttle linkage would not return fully. it was stuck a bit out. so i backed off the third screw and it dropped down to where it should be. hopefully that solves it. Cant wait to get this head on. wont get a head gasket till wednesday :

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo
Nice score Tim! 28 bucks is a steal. I'll give you $30 for it?

ha! :fu:

I have a super nice 210 you can have lol... If i can get that U67 well work somethin out :D cant wait till you get back, im gonna have a buncha shit done by then. can check out your dime again with the new stuff, and whatever i have by then lol!

Played around with the HDR shit in photoshop,

secondtry-final.jpg

IMG_0511_2_3_4_5-final.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo
Looks good!

looks kind of like what i'm doin'!

i didn't do the strip tho.... I think I like yours better..

i didnt have the strip on there either till bagged_datsun mentioned something. It looks a lot better with it :D

be careful if you do the strips, that engine enamel likes to break off in chunks if you use a low grit :

If everyone else is posting up their valve covers i may as well do mine. :D

I actually shaved the top line from the front side of the cap...

It just didn't look right otherwise.

Man, that does look good. Maybe you could snag some valve covers up from the local junk yard and shave them, sell them on here. wont get rich by any means but sure be a cool custom

I ended up taking the l20 i just built apart. Ran into some bullshit :(

turns out the felpro gasket for the oil pump sealed itself lol. so when i pulled the oil pump it tore the oil pump gasket up. Have to order a whole kit just for that one gasket, i cant find it anywhere but in a kit.

I tried wedging the chain tension-er but failed. ended up having to pull the cover and re-setting the chain. o well

Off with the W58, on with the A87

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Went down to portland monday to get a canopy put on my father in laws f350. Canopies unlimited on 82'nd is a great shop and i recommend them to anyone looking for some kind of bed cover, canopy, tonue cover, soft bed cover, bed liner what ever they have it all there and the owner and workers are cool as shit.

I spoke with the installer and he actually knew most makes and models of cars, including DATSUNS... he knew a bunch about datsuns, said he has owned many in the past. first one he bought was in 65, owned them all the way up until the name changed to nissan.

The ol guy even knew about the change in the tops of the beds, how on the 80-82 the bed rolls to the outside, and later on its to the inside.

After talking with the owner for a while we struck a deal on an old school canopy. I paid 20 for it, but gave him 40 since he went over it real quick. He fixed the door on it and the hydrolics for the door.

Heres some pics of it

Funny thing is it fit in the bed of the F350 with the new canopy on it, just shows the size difference...

i just set it on there when i brought it home,

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

here is after installing, i havent seen my passenger seat or floor in a long time!

Even had a chance to organize the stuff i put in the back of the bed. all nice and tucked away.

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Man, that does look good. Maybe you could snag some valve covers up from the local junk yard and shave them, sell them on here. wont get rich by any means but sure be a cool custom

I ended up taking the l20 i just built apart. Ran into some bullshit :(

turns out the felpro gasket for the oil pump sealed itself lol. so when i pulled the oil pump it tore the oil pump gasket up. Have to order a whole kit just for that one gasket, i cant find it anywhere but in a kit.

I tried wedging the chain tension-er but failed. ended up having to pull the cover and re-setting the chain. o well

Off with the W58, on with the A87

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Went down to portland monday to get a canopy put on my father in laws f350. Canopies unlimited on 82'nd is a great shop and i recommend them to anyone looking for some kind of bed cover, canopy, tonue cover, soft bed cover, bed liner what ever they have it all there and the owner and workers are cool as shit.

I spoke with the installer and he actually knew most makes and models of cars, including DATSUNS... he knew a bunch about datsuns, said he has owned many in the past. first one he bought was in 65, owned them all the way up until the name changed to nissan.

The ol guy even knew about the change in the tops of the beds, how on the 80-82 the bed rolls to the outside, and later on its to the inside.

After talking with the owner for a while we struck a deal on an old school canopy. I paid 20 for it, but gave him 40 since he went over it real quick. He fixed the door on it and the hydrolics for the door.

/QUOTE]

pshh should have stopped buy!

pshh should have stopped buy!

Dood i was wanting to!!! I tried calling your old cell but it didnt work i was going to run by for a little bit. i was there for about 4-5 hours waiting on them to install a slider window, and get some other little shits.

I forgot your address, i know you are down powel a ways, if i were to hit that street i would have been able to find you

PM me your phone # and address, next time i go down to LKQ or something ill swing by for a bit :D

Dood i was wanting to!!! I tried calling your old cell but it didnt work i was going to run by for a little bit. i was there for about 4-5 hours waiting on them to install a slider window, and get some other little shits.

I forgot your address, i know you are down powel a ways, if i were to hit that street i would have been able to find you

PM me your phone # and address, next time i go down to LKQ or something ill swing by for a bit :D

lol yeah man i was home just chillin. maybe would have got me motivated to work on something...then again maybe not haha

Thanks fisch!!

that took a lot of simple green, plastic sos pads, brass brush and some patience. i put more on the engine after i took the pics but was to lazy ot take some more. good enough for now

just need to get an oil pump gasket. and some intake/exhaust bolts and its complete. i have a water pump already (thanks phleb)

got two new tires on the front today

was down at schwab and talked to one of the techs for a bit about the a-arms on these

i read on here that when you drop these down so far you have to adjust the camber. guy said thats not true and not recommended by nissan (but what is!!)

anyways, he showed me the front end a little bit and with just 1 extra washer added to all 4 bolts along with the factory washer, the camber is off to much. its the toe that has to be adjusted.

so if anyone else has this problem, dont put shims in there spend 25 dollars at les schwab and get the toe adjusted. (steering just tries to steer itself, youll know if it happens to you, hit a grove and that shit will take off in another direction)