Gas tank Quesion?

sycloned916

In my 1967 520 pu,the gas tank was filled with water when i first got it,So i put a fuel cell in the cab. I first put the fuel cell were the tank was but I kept on getting water in my tank. Now I want to put a tank back in. What years will work for my truck or should i just get the tank i have cleaned out.I was just gonna buy a different fuel cell with a cap that wont take it water,not to sure on what to do.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the condition of your original tank and your ability to source another. I don't like cells unless it's required or needed for a certain application.

If your tank isn't too bad have it hot tanked and recoated. That's a relatively cheap and easy solution that leaves you with a next to new bolt in tank.

There are shops dedicated to it, there are also radiator shops etc that offer the service. In your area Idk, I would google. If I wasn't on the other side of the country I would source one for you.

There are home coating options too. Por and some other companies offer kits to refurbish your tank. I use the home method because I hate to pay for what I can do. Most shops will have a hot tank service, then apply the kit. Depends on your budget int he end but there are options for sure.

In my 1967 520 pu,the gas tank was filled with water when i first got it,..................... I first put the fuel cell were the tank was but I kept on getting water in my tank.

Maybe you should figure out why your getting water in there first. Or have you allready.

There are shops dedicated to it, there are also radiator shops etc that offer the service. In your area Idk, I would google. If I wasn't on the other side of the country I would source one for you.

There are home coating options too. Por and some other companies offer kits to refurbish your tank. I use the home method because I hate to pay for what I can do. Most shops will have a hot tank service, then apply the kit. Depends on your budget int he end but there are options for sure.

thanks.. sorry about that sycloned:D

I called around just to see about how much and what they do to clean a tank,one guy said $200 to clean the inside of my tank put in a drain plug and a bladder in so it won't rust again. Another guy wanted $150 to tank it and thats it. So i'll be doing it myself i guess.

Water got in from the top of the sender the guy before me had some crap to try to seal it up.Took me about 30min to get that stuff off,But the inside is bad. A buddy of mine said to try putting rocks or small round pebbles in the tank with some water and shake it to try to clean up some of the rust.I'll try that before i use some Por-15.

IDK if it's still available but we used to use an interior gas tank coating on leaky dirt bike tanks. You just pour it in and move the tank around intil the entire inside was coated then you just let it drain out and dry.The stuff worked great. It kind of looked like rubber cement but was impervious to gas.

Even if you want to use POR-15 you still have to clean the tank first. It does take some manual labor but it is actually easy to do. Google 'clean gas tank' for some ideas.

I just did my mc tank. The worst part was getting out the OLD POR-15 treatment:mad: not the rust in the tank. Once that was done, put rocks, roofing nails, anything of that sort ... some liquid ... some shaking, etc. and you can get it clean of most shizz. Rinse with water. Once resonably clean you can clean off your rocks/nails, put back into tank and use a bit of hydrochloric acid. Shake and rinse. Repeat process until it's clean enough. Rinse then dry and treat with phosphoric acid to kill any remaining rust. I then coated clean, dry tank with camp fuel (kerosene), drained, then installed on mc.

Buy ugly chemicals at local dollar store. Hydrochloric is disguised as CLR cleaner, phosphoric is disguised as Naval Jelly.

Paz