Hood release cable.

So my cable broke. I didn't like the options of replacing it plus I'm not a big fan of hood pins so I improvised. I went to Lowe's and bought 1/16 in. thick cable (7 ft) it was 25 cents a ft. (sweet). I took the old cable out of the hard plastic shell and cut the end that the handle attches to leaving only about 1/2 in. left on it. next I took a (blue) butt end wire connector and cut all the covering off and crimped the two cables together. Next I had to detach the hard plastic covering from the the metal end and cut the very tip of it off. I put the cable back throught the metal tip and the back through the hard tubing. I then inserted the hard tubing back into the metal tip and softly crimped it back together. if you crimp it back to tight the cable won't move inside the tubing because it is larger than the old cable. Then reinstall. I only used about 3 1/2 ft of the cable, however if I need to make another one I will have so to do so.

I don't have any pics yet, I'll post them up later.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic