A14 emissions stuff. What can be removed?

Bandit240

Ok i figure wile im under the hood taking the head off my A14 i would remove some emissions stuff. No inspections or smog here, so im not worried about that. The cat has been gutted out already. Im thinking of removing the EGR and all the extra junk with vacuum lines. What ever the pipes are that run from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner are, they can go.

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The black plastic thing in the middle pic is the carbon canister. It "scrubs" the fumes from the gas tank (though by now the charcoal is probably shot, it's actually a maintenance item). If you remove it without plugging the tank lines, the tank will vent directly into the engine compartment on very hot days. If you cap the lines, then the tank doesn't vent at all. Pick your poison.

Well the EGR is gone. It seems to have been plugged up with carbon for ages, so its junk in my book, plus the pipe connecting it to the exhaust manifold broke off. Next up is the pipes going from the air cleaner to the exhaust manifold, those are going. Need to find another air cleaner that doesn't have the attachments for the pipes. Im not going to mess with the ATC system(not that i think it works anyway) or the PCV system.

That link had alot of good info, but most of it works for the early emissions systems. My car and motor are 1980. Removing that stuff should clean up the engine bay somewhat. All the Aircon parts in there are some clutter im considering removing too.