thinking of changing out the bed!

coolioni

I have a 83 720 . The bed is rusty in all the usual aspots along the weld line along the sides, and there is alot of rust throughs inside the bed itself.

I think the best idea may be to just change the bed to a newer model bed.

I have seen pics of people that have put beds from much newer nissans on their trucks.

Is there any particular beds that are an easy fit for my truck ?

I have a standard size bed.

The color does not matter since I am going to get the truck repainted anyways after I end up doing this.

Do you guys agree it will be cheaper to just find a new bed at a junkyard and get it installed , or will it be cheaper to try to cut out all the rusted out pieces and doing a bunch of welding ?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

It's usually cheaper to fix what you got, but it's all a matter of perspective. Is your time and possible frustration worth the end result, or should you just fork out $100 for a "new" junkyard bed? You could try your hand at making the repairs, and worst case scenario, you just got a little practice at some body work. I was contemplating the same thing for a while. Today I pulled out the old fiberglass bedliner (thanks Pthedude) from my 620 bed, and was amazed at what I found. I was expecting to see a rusted out p.o.s, from all the trapped water that may have gotten in there. Instead the bed appears to be in pristine condition, clean factory paint, and made me change my mind about replacing it. I think I'm gonna do what I can to straighten it out, if it turns out to be no good, she'll be getting acquainted with my 2 favorite tools, the sawzall and the hammer :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

u should be able to use the bed from an 84 - 86 model 720, yours has outer lip rail like 620, the newer 720 models have inner lip rail, did a swap years ago to a friends truck, i looked good, and he liked the smoother apppeal of the inner or smooth bed rail area, also make sure to get tail gate as it is differant then yours, it will clean up the looks alot, also need tail lights..:)