720 4x4 Engine Pull

Dan.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove hood.

Disconnect the battery. Unbolt negative cable from the intake, positive from the starter.

Drain coolant.

Disconnect the three wires from/to the distributor on radiator and remove radiator and fan shroud. Disconnect hoses at the engine it's easier.

Might not hurt to remove distributor cap and wires to protect them from bump damage.

Passenger side:

Disconnect Black/Red solenoid wire and unbolt and remove starter.

Disconnect the oil pressure sender.

Move the transmission switch and reverse light wire harness harness out of the way.

Disconnect the two heater hoses at the firewall.

Disconnect the vacuum hose on intake to the brake vacuum booster.

Disconnect throttle cable.

Unplug the electrical harness plug at rear of carburetor.

Unplug or disconnect any hoses or wires from the passenger side inner fender and label where they connect to the intake. Take pictures.

Unplug Yellow/Black temperature gauge sender wire near thermostat housing.

Unplug and remove alternator.

Disconnect power steering hoses at pump.

Remove plastic fan blades from water pump for room and to protect them.

Disconnect the purge and vacuum lines to the charcoal canister leaving only the gas tank vent line on. Label hoses.

Driver's side: 

Disconnect the down pipe from the exhaust manifold.

Disconnect the stranded ground strap from the rear exhaust manifold stud connecting it to the firewall.

Support engine with crane and remove both engine brackets

Remove engine to transmission bolts.

Engine oil pan may not clear the front differential. You may have to loosen the cross member and let it drop down out of the way.

• Like 1

The one problem I had was there was a sneaky bolt hiding behind the bell housing dust cover that I couldn't see and went through great efforts to try and seperate the transmission from the engine before I realised it was there its the screw that holds the dust cover to (either the engine itself or tranny i cant remember) and its a bit hard to see.

The other problem is your engine being able to come out of the top; the oil pan will not clear the front diff in 4wd models, the manuals all say and I suppose the "offical way" is to remove the front diff or drop it ?. The other method is you can remove your 6 cab to chasis mount bolts (maybe a couple of other things? and then put blocks under it to raise the cabin off the chasis and then it will be able to clear it. This is often more work so it depends what you want to do, when I did mine I had all the interior gutted and my cab was coming off anyway so it was a good option for me.

Your crane may also not be able to reach high enough to lift the engine out of the top due to the trucks factory lift in the 4wd models; you can drop the front end, use an overhead crane or taller crane arm or cut the front face off so it can come forward at a lower angle.

Hope some of that makes sense lol

I'll probably just drop the cross member, suspension bars, and gear box. Seems easier. Wonder if its doable without hoisting the engine at all. From what I see I have to hoist it, but that was without dropping the gearbox.

Unless anyone has a possible method to seal a leaky oil pan without pulling it off?? heh.  Its currently covered with degreaser to get it ready for whatever I end up doing