Trivial Question

Hello,

1971,510 SW

One of my original outside plastic mirrors got busted. A chunk of the plastic was broken off. It looks like it can be reattached with some glue. I understand that different plastics take different glues. Any recommendations on the type of glue that I need to use ( & brand name.. ) to make it as strong as possible. Thank you very much.  Henry   

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have gathered, is that the Datsun plastics of the 1970's was what I call "real plastic", so just about any glue or epoxy would work.  FYI in the mid-late 1980's, manufacturers started using polypropylene plastic (PP), which I was told is "wax based", thus does not glue or paint long term.  I did Sport Compact from 1998-2006, had kids that wanted to paint plastic interior trim parts all the time.  I always told them that preparation of the surface was KEY & that it would not likely last long term regardless!!  I would say that 90% of these parts started to peel & chip within months, especially the "high traffic" parts.  I was correct.  I prep & paint Datsun parts often & have had very good luck.

If you need a good 68-73 510 DRIVERS mirror, but needs glass, let me know!  We no longer have a glass shop, here in Denver metro, to cut simple mirror glass, so I am at a brick wall with that.  I prolly have 6-8 good mirrors, with bad or no glass!  Sorry, no, I do NOT have any of the ultra rare 68-73 510 passenger side mirrors!!