Fs5w71b trans help. Mike ik you know whats wromg with this bad boy

I have a 1984 nissan 720 with a fs5w71b trans. The conter shaft bearing went out and i found it cause the input shaft teeth to sheer. Replaced thw input shaft, and counter shaft bearing and gear. Now im having issues overall. When spinning the input shaft in nuetral, the output shaft spinns aswell. 1st and second engage but lock the trans up. 3rd, 5th, and reverse do the same. Fourth gear is not engaging. The only thing i can find diferent is the new input shaft has two teeth where the old does not. (Pics provided) i need to drive my truck to work so please any help. Im a nood and idk if i may have installed the input shaft incorrectly? Thanks for any help

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The input gear has two teeth???? I'm sure that it has more like 22 teeth so can you explain what you mean?

Does the replaced input gear have the same number of teeth as the old one????

You said forth does not engage so is the output shaft free in forth??? 

• Like 1

Not familiar with that particular transmission.
If it’s like other Nissan five speeds with the three shift rods and detent balls sounds like their orientation is incorrect. 

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The input gear has two teeth???? I'm sure that it has more like 22 teeth so can you explain what you mean?

You said forth does not engage so is the output shaft free in 

What i had meant was the old in shaft was slotted 180 from itself. "Missing two teeth" the new shact has no slots but that wasnt the issue. The issue was that my input shaft was a 71c in shaft, and the gear is physically wider that the old 71b in shaft. I need a 71b in shaft if you have one.

I was convinced that i had gotten a shift fork stuck or somthing. But it was just incorrect input shaft. Put old one back and all gears shifted and spun normall and thats when i held then side by side and it became very clear to me

• Like 1