Nissan EN720 heavy duty

Hello All,

i picked up a 1984 EN720 1 ton dually. the truck was used on a farm to haul fire wood and the cab chassis was fitted with a flatbed and hydraulic dump , there are lots of dent  but no rust. its has the z24 engine in it. i am going to retorque the cylinder head bolts to specs as mentioned in the manual , the question i have is that im assuming these came with catalylic converters and this truck seems to have been straight piped, is the cat needed for proper operation?  i have heard that using no cat can cause engine damage but am not sure if that is true. obviously the truck is pre OBD so would there even be any sensors monitoring air/fuel ? 

thanks for any advice 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Catalytic converter cannot damage the engine but the internals may plug up and restrict the exhaust reducing power. You only need a catalytic converter if required by law in Onterrible to pass any emissions test.

On the re-torque, make sure the engine is cold, loosen only ONE head bolt at a time and tighten to 60 ft. lbs. Then move on to the next bolt. If done this way you can do in any order you like.

• 1 month later...

Aw man, I guess I didn't specify. I bought it for a $1,  the elder man didn't want it on his lot anymore. 

It's a 1984 720 Dually original, it had been sitting for 2 years, according to the elder it's motor started knocking. 

So I was trying to get a range of what it could cost, once its fixed up.

This is the only place where I saw some actual good feedback on these 720 so that's why I asked to join.

I honestly don't have any idea on any of this and any advice or pricing would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

Sam