1978 Datsun 810 L24

I recently got this 810 first Datsun I’ve owned 

I’m getting around to doing maintenance on it and was wondering what everyone else runs in there L24 for oil  for context I’m in Las Vegas and the summers are pretty brutal 

IMG_8910.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run 10w-30 in L-series engines. I also run ProLong engine additive that helps with keeping the cam and rockers in good condition and lasting a long time.

I run 170 deg thermostat just to be slightly on the cooler side for the radiator. You might want to do the same in a hot climate.

I just got my 1978 510 a few months ago. I'm running Royal purple HPS 10w-30. HPS has a decent amount of zddp in it which should protect the cam/rockers from wear. In your climate you could run 10w-40 or possibly even 20w-50 but I think with todays oils 20w-50 is unnecessary and possibly even detrimental in normal street car conditions. The only time I'd consider it is if the engine is super worn out and you're trying to limp it along before a rebuild, or if it's what the factory originally called for.

• Like 1

Shell Rotella T4 is a high 1,200 ppm diesel oil that's cheap and readily available everywhere. Comes in 10w30 and 15w40. Also higher detergent package so it will clean your engine. First couple of oil changes the oil got dark pretty fast as it dissolved all the varnish and crap from almost 50 years of driving that gas engine oils do not.

ZDDP is an anti scuff additive that protects cam lobes. Since '93? oil makers have been lowering the ZDDP levels gradually because newer engines don't need it and it poisons the new catalytic converters. Today's levels are 600-700ppm. I choose an oil with a ZDDP level that's the same as when my engine was designed.