Trouble finding 8 blade fan for 78 620

Hello all,

Battery recently caught fire in my 1978 620 and melted the fan blade and shroud. It is a factory AC vehicle so it came with an 8 blade fan which I have had difficulty locating. I have been told that 80-83 200sx and possibly 720’s of that time ran the same fan or possibly same dimensions. Searching on line does give results that look similar as far as fitting the clutch but are always 7 blade fans. I have reached out to some of the sellers for diameter dimensions to get a better idea of a possible fit. 

Does anyone have any other experience with this issue? Is there a “good enough” fit? Is is possible to replace the clutch that will fit a more readily available fan blade?

Id rather not have to do an electric fan conversion if I can be avoided. Everything else is in working order just need a fan blade replacement. 

Any feedback, guesses, anecdotes, complaints, and general knowledge is appreciated. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Understood datzenmike. After more research it seems that fans from 240z models of similar years have the same bolt diameter as the clutch on my engine. Is there a reason these will not work with my set up? Such as clearances, my shroud is also gone so I could work around that and find a shroud solution later. 

I noticed my fan is cracked at the base? Needing a new fan just in case mine decides to grenade unexpectantly lol. I have a '77 620 with A/C so 8 blade like you are mentioning. I read somewhere on here concerning replacements catering to pitch rather than OEM fit. Something about 7 blade with more pitch would be better than more blades and not enough air flow. Somewhere in the 300's page I wanna say lol. I have a machine shop at work and they're "getting with the times", i'll ask if they have a 3-D scanner.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, Shortbed said:

I noticed my fan is cracked at the base? Needing a new fan just in case mine decides to grenade unexpectantly lol. I have a '77 620 with A/C so 8 blade like you are mentioning. I read somewhere on here concerning replacements catering to pitch rather than OEM fit. Something about 7 blade with more pitch would be better than more blades and not enough air flow. Somewhere in the 300's page I wanna say lol. I have a machine shop at work and they're "getting with the times", i'll ask if they have a 3-D scanner.

What I ended up having to do was get a fan for a later 70’s or early 80’s model 720 or d21 whatever they are called the Nissan Oem part number is as follows:

21060-N8560

the 8 blade fan that ran in these late 70’s 620’s w ac are basically impossible to find. You’d have to get lucky in a junk yard looking at 720’s and 200sx’s of the late 70’s and early 80’s from what I understand. 

the fan of the part number above is 7 blade but has the 5.25 in (133.5 or 134.5 ish mm) bolt pattern and will have the proper offset to clear the pulleys.it’s only a bit wider inoveall diameter if I rennet correctly. Like a few mm’s.  It is possible that it may not exactly fit the stock shroud. I am currently not running a shroud since it melted but the fan definitely fits and will probably be your only real option for replacement. They seem to be much more avaible online eBay etc. 

Hope that helps.