Measuring and adjusting rear axle endplay on 720

This is my second post today about the same job (1986 720 2wd with H190 rear axle). Thanks to everyone who responded to my first post. Now I have a new issue - I just replaced bearings and races on both rear axles (along with seals, etc.) and now it's time to measure axle endplay. I should note that I replaced all shims the way they I found them when I disassembled the axles. I installed and torqued both axles, then began to try to measure endplay. FSM calls for 0.0118-0.0354" on one axle and 0.0008-0.0059" on the other. I measured both and got 0.013 on my drivers side axle and 0.0006 on the passenger side. Then I came across something in another manual that said I should have installed one axle, took a reading (which should have been the  .0118-.0354 one), then installed the other axle and took the second reading (which should have been within the .0008-.0059 range).

My questions are these:

1) - Should I remove one axle, take a reading on the opposite axle, then reinstall the other axle and take a reading, or can I consider my current readings correct?

2)- I suspect I'm probably going to have to provide more lateral movement and if so, do I add or subtract shims to do so?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic