Rear Bumper Replacement for 1985 720 King Cab

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post! I'm sure glad I found this forum, because it's already answered a lot of questions I had regarding my newly purchased 1985 720.

I managed to scoop the thing up for $3000 CAD, and it runs like a dream with less than 165,000km (around 100k miles) on it. Unfortunately, the vehicle had been sitting dormant for years, and therefor had it's registration run out; this means that I will need to pass a provincial inspection to get this beauty back on the road.

In order to pass the inspection, I need a few things; mainly small things need replacing (ie. heater core is plugged up, needs new tires etc.), but a big issue is that this truck is missing it's rear bumper which is required to pass inspection.

I've looked on online parts banks from wreckers, as well as called a few and even searched for others, but I can't find ANY of these things in Canada. 

My next option was to look for replacement bumpers online, everywhere I look directs me towards the Westin Fey - SureStep Universal Rear Bumper. The problem with these is that they require hardware for mounting them, and the company sells quite a few different mounting kits, all various shapes and sizes. The company has a mounting guide, and shows how to install the brackets on a 1986 and later truck (the hardbody models), but nothing for the 1985 and previous models. 

My question is this, is the bumper mount the same for the 1985 as for the hardbody? I've got a Haynes manual for the truck and can't seem to find any specific answers there either. on top of that, the truck is in a body shop for a few days having some rusty floor pans and rockers restored so I can't really get a good look at it myself.

Thanks for any help, glad to be here!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heater.

Can't get heat out of it? cable may have come off the valve

Set the heat on HIGH, take both hoses off the engine side and run the garden hose in both directions several times to flush the core out.

It can wait, the inspection won't be checking the heater.

The 720 and D21 Hardbody bumpers bolt to the frames. I believe the D21 frames are slightly farther apart than the 720 so that may not work. If this was a car it would have to have functioning 5MPH crash bumpers, luckily it's a truck. The only criteria is that it's a metal bumper and that it's at the correct height above the pavement. (just match the front)

Sounds like you live in Onterrible. Get several cans of flat black spray paint and cover anything rusty specially the brake and fuel lines. Wipe down the rubber flex hoses with WD-40 make them shiny and black. If they have any cracks replace them because they will make you do it even though there's nothing wrong with them. E brake working and adjusted. Absolutely NO gasoline leaks. Replace wiper blades. ALL exterior lights and signals working. Front pads and rear shoes can be worn (not worn out) but any brake fluid wetness replace wheel cylinders or calipers. Both side mirrors and rear view must be working and also the seat belts must work. No leaks in the exhaust system and must have tail pipe. No holes in the underside. Patch with metal and cover with roofing tar, spray flat black.

@datzenmike Alberta actually, but good guess haha. I've been compiling a list of things that will need changing to get me through inspection, but I hadn't thought of a few of these. Anything else you can think of? 

Truck needs tires, an alignment, horn isn't working (going to check the relay first), and the bumper, but other than that I haven't had a chance to check it over too much. Pretty sure inspections are similar for BC and Alberta, and from what I hear they can get you for any number of little things...

I should have guessed that no almost 50 year old Nissan would have survived Ontario saltiness winters.

Horn: try repeatedly tapping on the horn, like 50 or more times to polish the contacts. Here in damp BC mine will not work if not used.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 86 720 (when searching for parts online, I find if I say it's an 86 they only provide parts for a D21, so I have learned to say its an 85) and I have been exploring whether I want a step bumper or not. After extensive research (where I saw a Westin Bumper can be used, but there was considerable conflicting information as to whether I could get a mounting kit for it) I finally contacted Westin and they stated they did not have a bumper or mounting kit that would fit my 720. Just for argument sake, Amazon has a nice Westin (on Amazon, this is known as a "Fey") step bumper that they say will fit my 85 720, but they didn't have the mounting kit. The bumper is a model # 71001 and according to at least one internet source (https://www.etrailer.com/question-639016.html) the mounting kit is model # 95500.  The mounting kit is very hard to find, but I found one at Etrailer.com (very pricey) - https://www.etrailer.com/p-95500.html.    In fact, you can get both the 71001 bumper and the 95500 mounting kit at Etrailer here: https://www.etrailer.com/Bumper/Westin/71001-95500.html    ($492.64 USD and they claim this kit is "not confirmed to fit my 1985 720" but other sources say it will. You be the judge).

In view of the sizeable investment of the bumper and the install kit, I decided I preferred the look of the bare rear end and would rather spend that amount of money on rejuvenating my a/c system. Good luck.

P.S., if you decide to try it, please post here how it worked out for you. I might change my mind 😉