New carb problem

Okay so I bought a carb off of eBay that says it will work on my truck but it does not have the return line tube is there a way to bypass that so it does not pump too much gas into my carb It had it overflowing I appreciate any and all info it's a 1984 Nissan 720 base cab short bed z24 5-speed

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The return line is not part of the carburetor. It's junction is on the main line to the carburetor just before the carburetor and sticks up between the intake runners between the carburetor and the valve cover. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a27e2a3ee9e5cfae64d60a3b6e3fcf62.jpeg

This is the front of a Weber carburetor but if you follow the fuel line you'll see that it loops over toward the valve cover and then down beside the carburetor between the intake runners. The fuel line forms a Y with one leg to the carburetor, one to the fuel pump and the last one is the return to the tank. Yours should still be there waiting.

The return line is not there to regulate how much gas flows into the carburetor. That is regulated by the fuel pressure in the fuel pump. It will work just the same if removed. The return line simply flows past the carburetor pushing over heated gasoline back into the tank and supplying fresh cooler fuel to reduce heat soak and vapor locking on extremely hot days. That all.

The big line if you're looking at the picture on the left hand side which be the passenger side that line there's not one of those tubes coming out of the top of the carburetor for that line to connect to

Don't know what you mean.

You mentioned the return line. I said that was a Weber carburetor, not what you have, but the return line position is the same. Follow the fuel hose from the center over to the right side and down. The metal fuel line with the return is down beside the carburetor base.

On my original carb there's a tube sticking out on the passenger side and the new carb doesn't I thought it was an overflow I can't figure out how to insert pictures to show what I'm talking about 

2 hours ago, billyd said:

On my original carb there's a tube sticking out on the passenger side and the new carb doesn't I thought it was an overflow I can't figure out how to insert pictures to show what I'm talking about 

Oh that! It's for collecting evaporating fuel from the float chamber on Californian emissions carburetors. Normally the vapors would just escape but that vent directs them to the charcoal canister where gas tank fumes are stored. Just cap it off unless you have emissions inspections. If you are required to have it functional then I don't know what to say.