78 620 Indicator / High Beam Switch Replacement

Trying to replace this switch, but my old switch has more wires than the new one. Any help appreciated

Old one: 

H7YEIeu.jpg

New One:

jGVy2Eu.jpg

You can ignore where the pins in the new one are, as I thought I could beep test the old unit and sort out the pins on the new one. If more images are needed or any further explanation, I am happy to answer. Also prepared to be told I bought the wrong one, despite my best efforts.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 4 headlight dimmer/turn signal switches over the run of the 620. '73-'74, '75-'77, '78 and '79. The last two are the only ones with a 10 pin connector.

If you have a '78 that is likely a '79 switch. The difference is in the dimmer switch. The '79 hi/low beam  switch allows a 'flash to pass' even with the headlights off.

Can you post a picture of the backs of both plugs showing the wire colors? Perhaps it can be modified by moving a pin or connecting two wires.

Sure, like I said though the new plug is already dissembled 

Old Plug top:

Qvt2EVw.jpg

Old Plug Bottom:

4heHHWV.jpg

New Plug:

4oqDIVS.jpg

Backs of the switch themselves (new one is installed, so harder to take a picture of)

Old one:

VgYvLoB.jpg

New One:

ONRhubM.jpg

jFR6Ive.jpg

wFiTqjP.jpg

At this point I am starting to think they are too different. Old one has more "blinker" leads and the new one has more "high/low beam" leads. At this rate I'm going to have a truck load of parts that don't fit my truck. 😆