z22 n856 head vs. z24 10w head

i’m swapping heads and as i’m pulling valves i look over and notice a massive difference. the head i’m going to put on has a massive hole where the power steering bracket bolts. what do i do about that cavity leading into the timing chain valley, put a plate over it, why is the hole there, is it even important?

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main difference between Z22 and Z24 heads are the intake port shape. The Z20/22 have round intake ports with fuel injector notches at the top. (the Z24 with notches is mine and I put them there) The Z24 intake ports are square with rounded corners. I think, use the Z22 intake gasket if swapping to the Z24 head. All Z20/22/24 have the same cam and valve train and the combustion chambers are the same volume with the exception of the Z20 mileage option engine in the '83-'86 720. The W-04 head castings are about 10cc smaller volume. I've cc'd 2 each of the Z20E, Z22S (carburetor) and Z24. They were identical.

The hole is for a mechanical fuel pump arm. It may have been taken off and lost? I hear that the Chev block off plate will also fit. I've seen the mechanical fuel pump at Canby by never in Canada. They all had block off plates. Here's the Z20E.

qAzDPPy.jpg

image.jpeg.941478e33b1f90628f676131c1c4809a.jpeg

This is the temp sensor used by the Z20 and Z22 heads used on the S110 200sx EFI. It is NOT the temperature sender for the temperature gauge, that's on the intake. The early Z20E(fi) had this beside the temperature sender on the intake but for EFI it's more important to have a quicker reading that is beside the combustion chamber. Later it was moved to this location.

BTW this is from an '81 S110 200sx on a Z20E engine. The head part number is 11041-N8561 that can't be coincidence.