81 b310 started and ran then stalled out and wouldnt start

so this morning when i was about to leave i fired up my datsun and it ran fine and then before i could even bring it down from high rpms it stalled out and would not fire up again. i do not think its getting any gas

anymore i run a weber 32/36, i just recently replaced the crankshaft fuel pump, it ran and drove perfectly last night, is this a filter problem? i have a lot of debris in the tank? please help, i daily drive this car and i need it running

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When there is a failure that is unexpected look back to what you have done recently. You replaced the fuel pump? Good place to start unless the reason for replacing it is the same problem you have now in which case you have a different problem that the pump.

So, why was the pump replaced? What was it doing/not doing?

Seems unlikely that two pumps would be bad.

Direct the outlet into a container, disconnect the coil and crank with starter. Got gas?

YES..... carburetor float stuck in up position, needle valve or screen plugged on carburetor.

NO....... Supply fuel to the inlet of the pump from a container, turn engine with starter. Gas???

YES.... tank is empty or fuel line plugged or kinked. possibly loose hose clamp on tank side letting air in pump can't lift the gas.

NO.... pump not working due to damaged cam eccentric.

Buy a couple of filters. When I got my 710 I made it 20 miles before it quit. I disconnected the tank side and just shook it and the gas inside rinsed the rust out and got me going. Did it one more time about 20 miles later and by 20 more miles I was home.

KyVcLds.jpg

Emptied the gas and collected this...

Took the delicate sender out and put 3 double handfulls of (relatively) clean driveway graves in and rolled it around on the lawn. Dumped it out and hosed it clean. Left in the hot sun to dry the interior.

Filtered the orange/brown gas through a filter and reused it. I mean.... Datsun owner, right????

WGaI7gx.jpg

New filter and never had a problem after that.

• Like 1