1985 720 fuse box replacement issues

20240118_212152.thumb.jpg.178b39fcd2f91df8f02ce6e2a4045ad1.jpgSo I am new to this page, but I desperately need some help I have a 1985 720 that I purchased a new fuse box for. The old one looks to have caught on fire at some point in the past.

The issue I'm having is that the new wire colors don't match up to the old wire colors. On top of that it seems that some are not even in the same spots. I know nothing when it comes to electricity and I'm at a lost with what to do next. I thought this would be an easy fix..:(20240118_160912.thumb.jpg.b3274294bc9789748b66c1b4b85bebb2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What was the old fuse box out of?

It really shouldn't matter. Ive replaced one before. Bad contact causes resistance causing heat that melted the plastic causing bad contact in a positive feedback loop. Release the terminals I think I used a straightened hair pin, and transfer to the new block.

There are four blocks of fuses. From the left, the first 5 fuses are turned on by the ignition switch. Fuses 6 and 7 are also on when switched to the accessory position. Fuses 8 through 13 are powered by the battery and are hot at all times with fuse 9 blank and unused*. The last two are 14 and 15 and are for right and left side headlights respectively and are powered at al times.  

* you can see that blank position in the picture of your fuse box.

The '80 fuse box is the most different with only 10 fuses.

The '81 and up should physically be the same for the rest of the 720s but the '81-'82 has a blank space for the #5 fuse which is used in the '83 and up for the electric fuel pump. Color wires don't matter as you'll be putting yours into it.

image.jpeg.f01dc4418a181de6c2e9d50ee854c1d5.jpeg

Above, the colors on the left side agree with what I have for the '81- and at least to '84

Below, this could be '85- '86 I just don't know, but can't see any reason to change them. However from April '85 there was a Z24i engine option with throttle body fuel injection. Maybe???????

image.jpeg.91087672649940ee302dc4677e1cf937.jpeg

For now just disconnect the battery to shut off.

I guess this was not happening before?

Two things...

1/ Are the gauges still reading with the key off???

2/ does the windshield wipers work with the key off???

But that would eventually discharge the battery as things are powered still.

13 hours ago, This720Guy said:

Yes the windshield wipers still work with the key off And as for the gages, I don't really know because none of them really work. But the battery light is on, on the instrument panel 

Well that isn't right.

image.jpeg.b5f59a6d88a7d21967efc1d66d5ec9f5.jpeg

This is your old box. At the bottom the White/Blue stripe provides power from the ignition in the ON position along that side of the box for the 1-5 numbered fuses. The first five fuses share that White/Blue power source and it is separate from all the others.

Above that is a White/Red wire from the ignition switch that is powered in the ON and the Accessory position for the 6 and 7 fuse only and separate from the others.

Above that is a White wire that powers 8 through 13 and is hot at all times.

Last is the 14 and 15 fuse that is powered by a Red wire that is hot at all times.

So that's 4 separate sections on that side of the fuse box. Check that side of your new box has 1-5  6-7  8-13  14-15 separate from each other.

The first two will turn on with the ignition. The second one will stay on when in Accessory only. The last two will be on at all times.

On the hot side of all fuses there should be a separation into four groups. A visual inspection will expose if they are or are not.

Well then that's the problem. Certain functions need turning off/on with the key others like the horn, headlights, brake lights, clock, interior light should be powered and available at all times. 

You have the old fuse box I hope???

image.jpeg.faea637aa4b1e4bb4f40b9954c309fa7.jpeg

Perhaps a dremel could be used to sever the buss bar on the right side into those four sections and it should work properly.