Dash lights?

I finally fixed most of my problems, my gear reduction starter is finally working. I had to replace the ground it frayed like crazy after loosing insulation at the middle lug. Is there a better spot to ground out than the intake? I’m hoping that’s stock and the old owner wasn’t stupid. I filled all my old vacuum ports with jb weld high heat expoxy from the base of the fitting up they’re no longer leaking. I’m still chasing my tail with the carb adapter leak though, any recommendations for files/hones that would be flat enough to reflatten my intake manifold. I was also wondering if my 1980 720 king cab has gauge illumination, they’re impossible to see and I’ve made sure all the bulbs are good 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The intake is the stock location for the ground strap but anywhere on the block that is secure and robust enough to reliably handle several hundred amps will work.

I replaced my battery with a side mount terminals and had to replace the cables as well. These were from a GM Lumina which were much too long so rather than cut to fit the L series head I ran them to the starter bolt as shown below. This is the shortest path to ground for the starter. Not suggesting you do this but the connection must be robust.

JUcLAhr.jpg

Do the dash lights even come on?

Check the tail lights: they are on the same circuit, are they also on?

Is the dash dimmer switch adjusted all the way to the right?