85 Nissan 720 4x4 Brake light switch for the clutch switch

Thomas Perkins

Hi all.Back in.Sept.10,2019.I replaced my clutch switch on the clutch pedal.The part is  really called a brake light switch.Back then it cost 7.13,now they cost 21.99.I got it at Auto Zone and it has a lifetime warranty.No stores around here have it in stock.I will get up at 7:30 am and order it by phone and it will be there by noon.I put 31 000 miles on it.When the switch goes bad it will not start.Nissan don't have them anymore in the USA.But I did find a New Nissan one overseas in a Japan Nissan site.They are 12.74 and they are 22.74 for shipping.They have 5 left,but mine will be free.

download (1).avif1985-1986

Clipped_image_20231202_001804.png

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A faulty clutch pedal switch can make starting your vehicle more difficult. It might also allow the engine to start in gear if the part fails in its closed position.

Common symptoms of a bad clutch safety switch include the engine not starting, the vehicle starting without the clutch being pushed in, and start-up only succeeding after pressing the clutch multiple times.

The clutch safety switch ensures that you can only start your car’s engine while stepping on the clutch pedal.

The clutch switch usually lasts as long as your vehicle’s service life, but you should replace it when it shows issues.

Automatic transmissions don’t have a clutch pedal switch.

It’s unsafe to drive with a bad clutch switch.

Replacement clutch safety switches can go for anywhere between $10 and $60.

Contents 

1. Bad Clutch Safety Switch Symptoms

1.1. Engine Won’t Start

1.2. Vehicle Starts Without the Clutch Pushed In

1.3. Engine Only Starts After Repeatedly Pressing the Clutch

1.4. Cruise Control Failure

2. What Is a Clutch Safety Switch?

3. Other Clutch Pedal Position Switch FAQ

3.1. What Causes a Clutch Switch To Fail?

3.2. How Long Do Clutch Switches Last?

3.3. Do Automatic Transmissions Have a Clutch Pedal Switch?

3.4. Is It Safe To Drive With a Bad Clutch Switch?

3.5. How Much Does a Clutch Switch Replacement Cost?

One of the 

It is fixed.When getting another switch, save one of the nuts off your old one cause the new one only has one.I did keep both, now I have a extra one.See the picture of the new one,in the other post.When the switch is on it's last leg,in order to get it to start,I had the push the clutch pedal in  many times to get the switch to finally work.Same thing as the last one I put in 4 years ago.When you get a new one they are stop light switches,same as the one on the brake pedal.Here is the old switch.You can see the nuts are different.Another part I will never have to buy.Was at the store in 4 hours.Made in Italy.

20231202_133805.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins