Starter engaging but not turning engine over

i used my 1980 720s' battery to run a winch on a trailer and it died so i jumped my truck from a running SUV which in turn fried the ribbon circuit on the back of the gauge cluster specifically the one that grounds to the speedo screw. since then i haven't been able to turn it over and it just clicks. today i replaced the starter with a gear reduction starter and it still isn't turning over. both relays on the left and right side under dash are clicking, right side first at ignition then the left side when the key actually turns. it sounds like the starter is engaging but not turning even tho i've confirmed the engine isn't locked

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you killed a battery using the winch then jumped the truck to start it, the problem with the gauge cluster is coincidental unless you briefly perhaps connected the booster cables backwards?... there is no connection between starting and the gauges that would cause that damage.

I assume that the boost from another vehicle was successful? but your battery doesn't? This is very informative. If it starts with a boost then it isn't the starter.

Is your battery now fully charged or are you assuming it is? How far did you drive it and was it long enough to recharge the battery? Slow turning is a sign the battery is low and as you said you ran it down maybe it still is?

1/ Make sure battery is fully recharged. If it, is remove and clean the posts and cable ends and securely tighten them. Does it start now?

YES... problem solved. This is most likely the problem.

NO?

2/ using cables get a boost from a working vehicle. Does it start now????

YES... there is something wrong with your battery.

image.thumb.jpeg.e8dc21425d5e48d3f031e8428cdb3dd5.jpeg

That top lamp that has all the damage on it's trace is the charge warning lamp. It has battery on one side and charging alternator on the other. If alternator is charging the warning light can't light. 

Have to ask was the charge warning light on when (presumably) you drove home after the boost?

I did not drive after trying to jump it’s been only clicking, the battery was removed to use on winch, i reinstalled it dead then jumped it, charge light dimmed as I turned key and gauges started sizzling they got hotter the longer I held the key in start. I removed the gauges and battery then put back the battery presumably full, still not turning over. The charge light came on when the key was turned to start previously but not once it’s started

Was battery connected backwards or boost backwards???????

If battery was run down using winch what makes you think it is charged up???????? If you recharged the battery say so.

When you turn ignition to ON (not start) does the charge light come on???