Picking up my 620 next week

DPKiel

My grandpa on my mom's side got a 620 brand new after his mom died. I grew up seeing this green turd sitting in their front yard. I rode in it once that I remember. Turns out my cousin has it sitting in the shop his dad used to own and offered it to my mom. I'm going to go put it on a trailer and bring it home for my new daily driver as I do not have a car right now and would love to have a project car as well. I know it's an HL620 with the L20B from the pic of the info plate my cousin sent us. I've rebuilt an engine before and am no stranger to this type of stuff. Where should I start to make sure this green machine is going to be road worthy in a timely manner? I'll post pics when I get it home. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order...

Replace all fluids.

30w30 Rotella T4. If extremely hot in the summer 15w40

2 liters of GL4 90w transmission gear oil (not GL5) top up the steering box with it also

1 liter GL5 90w differential

Flush the hydraulic brakes with DOT3

Flush block rad and heater core. (set heater to HOT) Refill with 50/50 distilled water and anti-freeze coolant.

Brakes

All 620 had drum brakes except the '78 and '79. All drum brakes need adjusting or replacement if worn down. Disc brake pads are the easiest, no adjusting needed. Loosen emergency brakes before adjusting the rears then set the e-brake adjustment.

Illumination

Check that all headlights, side marker, front and rear parking and turn signals, license plate marker and reverse lamps are working.

Engine

Set the valve lash to 0.010" intake and 0.012" exhaust on a hot engine.

Set timing to 120 BTDC

If '75-'77 clean or replace and set the points to 0.018"-0.022"

If '78 or '79 it's a breakerless electronic ignition, no points to set. Replace wires, cap, rotor and plugs as needed... if they look bad they are.

Steering

Inspect front tires for uneven wear. If steering wheel has more than an inch or two play or it shudders suspect that some or all the ball joints are worn and steering box and alignment may need adjusting.

• Like 1