84 720 tires

Berkybot

What would be decent mud tires I could throw on my stock rims? Thinking about tightening the t bars to get an inch lift in the front and slipping a block under the u bolts in the rear. I’m trying to get rid of the truck but there hasn’t been much interest in it so I’m trying to make it more marketable as an off-road vehicle.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'84 4x4 tires are 27.7" tall and 8.46" wide. The last thing you want to do is go to a taller tire. The 720 is already slow enough and increasing the diameter badly alters the final gear ratio making it even less crawl friendly. Not to mention throwing the odometer/speedometer off.

You can select aggressive tread tires that are the same height but wider though.

a 270/70R15 is 9" wide

a 240/65R15 is 9.45" wide

a 250/65R15 is 10 ' wide.... all are within 0.4" of the stock height.

If thinking of 33" 'mudders' better this will be the same as switching your 4.11 differentials for a set of 3.44s. I had 33" tires and a 4.11 on my 620 truck and if driving into a head wind you couldn't use 5th, every hill was a downshift to 4th or even 3rd. Acceleration was pathetic. Yes this was with the Z24 engine.