1982 720 farm truck build

Ratrod720

7 years ago my dad picked up this 1982 datsun 720 with a blown head gasket for $200. It has some scratches and dents on the front, as well as a rocker that is rusted all the way through. The truck was rear ended and will need a new bed. This is perfect since I'm putting a flatbed on it. 

Today I started on the head gasket. I got down to the head but had to stop because I couldn't find a wrench to take the manifolds off. 🙄  I am a little concerned about the timing chain. More pics to come.

Edited by Ratrod720
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With help you can disconnect the down pipe and lift the head off with the manifolds on. It's awkward but less chance of stripping threads on the aluminum head. Hell of a lot easier to remove the manifolds with head off if it needs to be milled.

Head surface must be checked for warp or  low spots with a straight edge. 0.004" is the maximum allowable warp.

DO NOT remove the cam sprocket until you know how to block the timing chain tensioner from falling out when the chain is loosened. This will save you 4 hours of unneeded work.

• Like 1