First Ever Project - 85 720 2.4L

HayesK

I'm stoked. I wasn't raised as a tool wielder or to be mechanically inclined. 

I bought this truck in a moment of desperation when I accidentally blew up my previa due to lack of ability/knowledge/care to provide it with basic maintenance. I was couch surfing and needed a way to get my tools and myself to and from work. This truck was the only thing I thought was worth my time in my area and I knew nothing about how cool it was. I bought it for $3000 with $1500 being on credit based on a handshake (I live in Arkansas and while not the norm, isn't uncommon in my area, good 'ol boys and all).

The truck ran, and kept running on the interstate an hour each way everyday. I could not be more thankful or appreciative for the truck and the man Ed who gave me a chance.

That being said, the truck is mine now and needs some love. This thread is my attempt to record my progress and connect with others interested in the same thing I am. A cool truck.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently, I have successfully removed the head from the cylinder (without releasing tension on the chain thanks to a different thread I found) with advice from this site and a Haynes manual I acquired. 

There is carbon buildup on the head of Piston one and four, less so on two and three. I've meticulously removed gaskets and cleaned mating surfaces and am attempting to gauge flatness of the head. I am not sure where to acquire the tools to do this so minor roadblock there. 

The truck was billowing thick white non-dissipating smoke as well as leaking oil out of the exhaust. After research (no professional help, can't afford) I assumed it was gasket failure and ordered a kit to replace everything between intake head and exhaust. Hoping this will fix it. Installed a weber 32/36 and haven't been able to drive it yet. 

You'll need a precision draftsman or machinist's straight edge. They are not cheap (about $80) so maybe borrowing one or take it to one.

1039-17_512x384.webp.df94f96f5dffaadf4d86eafba44f437a.webp

Measure diagonally in an X pattern. Limit is 0.004," so if a 0.004 " feeler gauge will slip under the straight edge at any point the head should be milled.

Tightening torque and pattern...

R..A..D

Tighten to 20 ft lbs using this pattern

Tighten to 40 ft lbs using this pattern

Tighten to 60 ft lbs using this pattern... done

If it ran alright and then developed a problem then likely a head gasket failure that is normal for the Z24 engines, occurring roughly every 100 thousand mile intervals. Once replaced the preventative is to loosen and re-torque each bolt individually once a year on a cold engine. Any pattern you like but only one bolt loose at a time.

Haynes is an OK manual but one thin book covers all 6 years and 5 engines used on the 720. Nissan published a FSM (factory service manual) for every year of car or truck. It covers in extreme detail only your year truck and is twice as thick as the Haynes. Usually you can find them for sale on e-Bay. $20 is nice and $50 is not too much and they pay for themselves the first time you use it.

Update, 

Head reinstalled. Snapped head bolts. Have to remove snapped bolt and am not sure how to go about that. 

I went for it, put her all back together and started her up just to see if I could make it work. I did, but obviously head is fucked. Needing advice how to removre snapped cylinder head bolt. FUCK